Polyethelene tubing adapter for Water Softener drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Kevin121

Reaction score
I am looking to run Polyethelene tubing for a water softener drain. The Softener has a 3/4" Male NPT plastic connection and can use either 5/8" OD or 3/4" NPT. I am wondering what type of fitting I need to install at the drain connection to run the Polyethene tubing? What size tubing would you recommend to go with this? Thanks in advance!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Actually I like CPVC for the drain looks nice and straight lays down well and doesn't react with the waste. I think 1/2 inch (5/8 od ) works good.
Should you stay with your choice a push fit or compression fitting should work

Last edited:

Kevin121

Reaction score
This is more of a temporary location where I am draining it for now, that is what I was looking to use the flexible Polyethlene tubing instead...

Bannerman

Reaction score
What size tubing would you recommend to go with this?
  • What is the water softener Capacity?
  • What is the drain line run distance?
  • Will the drain line run up overhead or will it be run at a height that is equal to or below the height of the softener's drain connection?

Kevin121

Reaction score
The softener capacity is 30,300 grains, the temporary drain line now will be about 25 feet and will run vertically about 5 feet. I'm just struggling finding a fitting with a female 3/4" NPT end and barbed 1/2" (ID) end. My understanding is that the ID on the tubing needs to match the size of the barbs on the drawing fitting...

Reach4

Reaction score
Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
why must you use a barbed fitting? you need 3/4 female x whatever pipe you connect . shouldn't be hard to find

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well you stated you wanted to use Polyethylene What I see on that is a compression or a push fit . If you changed your mind and are using polyvinyl a soft hose but called tubing a barb is often used. size of tubing recommendation follow instructions that came with your particular softener .

Kevin121

Reaction score
Sorry about that, yes I meant flexible Polyethylene tubing. I can only find fittings with Male ends on it , and need one with female 3/4 inch NPT for the one end and barbed on the other (or a female coupling perhaps. Also is FIP (iron pipe) threads equivalent to NPT?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
sure making this hard put a 3/4 coupling on the end. is there a reason that wont work? go to hardware and buy whatever fits. besides you said this is a temporary connection.

Reach4

Reaction score
sure making this hard put a 3/4 coupling on the end. is there a reason that wont work? go to hardware and buy whatever fits. besides you said this is a temporary connection.
If he gets a reducing coupling, he can use the more common 1/2 inch thread.
brass-everbilt-brass-fittings-801919-76_100.webp

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks