Rough in plumbing basement

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ok I finally get it now, I understand I can extend to the left to get on the other side of the w/c now. One final question. Is there somewhere I can look to get basic codes that I will need? I am sure I will still need to reference my pipe length maximum, slopes, spacing, etc. Thank you very much!
1/4"perfoot slope on drain pipe I just google the state and plumbing code and UP codes site comes up and I click, but some places have county or city codes I do all my work in So Ca and very little differance city to city

Reach4

Reaction score
Ok I finally get it now, I understand I can extend to the left to get on the other side of the w/c now. One final question. Is there somewhere I can look to get basic codes that I will need? I am sure I will still need to reference my pipe length maximum, slopes, spacing, etc. Thank you very much!
https://wabo.memberclicks.net/assets/pdfs/Plumbing_Venting_Brochure_2018.pdf page 2.

With 1.5 inch under UPC, max is 6 ft along the path from the U in the p-trap , through the trap adapter, through the medium or long bend at the wall, thru the pipe, to the santee. Use a level, and get slopes right.

I got one of these" https://www.homedepot.com/p/Johnson-Self-Leveling-Cross-Line-Laser-Level-Kit-40-0921/202258059

It's bright enough for indoor or night without wearing the glasses, and with the glasses it can be used in higher light, but not direct sun.

There are other handy laser levels at various price points. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-3...-Device-and-Carrying-Pouch-GLL-30-S/207134022 for example. Rather than a tripod, set this on something. Pocket size. The "30 ft" is a relative measure of brightness, rather than a hard max for distance. In darkness you can go farther, and in bright sun, you would need a much more expensive unit.

Jefftra

Reaction score
So I’m trying to figure out this piping. I have attached the arm just to show where about the vanity will go. It will be 2 inch pipe and more than 42 inch to the trap. My area is IPC code. So I guess that is ok. Also for vent, can I just use one of those AAV. (Air admittance valves).? If so go straight up from where the santee is and place there. There is tons of duct work right above the plumbing wall. Only other option I see is to run around the wall 90 degrees and over to the vent that is from the master bathroom. This is displayed in my other picture.

6C9C962A-2E9D-40FB-803C-47AB7C4AD9BA.jpegE06B83BD-9B6B-4729-A730-E1DF7CFF3B6E.jpeg

Reach4

Reaction score
So I’m trying to figure out this piping. I have attached the arm just to show where about the vanity will go. It will be 2 inch pipe and more than 42 inch to the trap. My area is IPC code. So I guess that is ok. Also for vent, can I just use one of those AAV. (Air admittance valves).?
Not officially. What you should do is to get rid of the trap below the floor, and put a trap adapter on that elbow where the flow enteres the wall.

If you use an AAV, it goes at least 4 inches above that santee, and must be vented and accessible for changing. They make a box with louvered cover for the purpose. Alternatively, you could bring the AAV into the vanity cabinet.

Jefftra

Reaction score
There is not a trap on that pipe. The one on the far right has a trap in it, but I’m not putting in a shower. It’s hard to see but that pipe is not going to be used. So am I ok extending that arm as far over as needed to reach vanity. The arm isn’t as far over as needed yet. I just set that there for a picture to show the direction it’s headed.

Reach4

Reaction score
There is not a trap on that pipe. The one on the far right has a trap in it, but I’m not putting in a shower. It’s hard to see but that pipe is not going to be used. So am I ok extending that arm as far over as needed to reach vanity. The arm isn’t as far over as needed yet. I just set that there for a picture to show the direction it’s headed.
Under UPC, that distance from the U of the 1.5 inch p-trap through the elbow, and over to the trap arm is going to be only 3.5 ft total. If you would be over that limit as drawn, you could run the vent line over to the left to be close enough.

Further, I think UPC does not approve of AAVs, but local exceptions can permit the AAV.

Jefftra

Reaction score
Under UPC, that distance from the U of the 1.5 inch p-trap through the elbow, and over to the trap arm is going to be only 3.5 ft total. If you would be over that limit as drawn, you could run the vent line over to the left to be close enough.

Further, I think UPC does not approve of AAVs, but local exceptions can permit the AAV.
Ok that makes sense I can just go over far enough to get it close then take my vent up to the pipe going up to the attic which is 1.5 vent. So should I use 1.5 inch to the trap-andthen 1.5 to that vent in the picture? 8D26236F-2447-44DC-96FC-73574E2AD9CA.jpeg

Reach4

Reaction score
Something like this works.

Attachments

• img_3.jpg
    img_3.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 132

Jefftra

Reaction score
Something like this works.
I did find in the IPC code which is what my area has, I can have a maximum distance from the trap to the vent of 72 inches. That is quite a bit different than the UPC of 42. Does it mater if I use 2 inch or 1.5 for the arm and the vent pipe? I believe my other vents in the house are 1.5. Thank you for your help.

Reach4

Reaction score
I did find in the IPC code which is what my area has, I can have a maximum distance from the trap to the vent of 72 inches. That is quite a bit different than the UPC of 42. Does it mater if I use 2 inch or 1.5 for the arm and the vent pipe? I believe my other vents in the house are 1.5.
IPC makes things mostly easier.
1.5 for the vents is good. Probably 1.25 would be good even. I think you can use 2 for the trap arm across, but if the trap is 1.5, I think you are supposed to measure the length as if the path was 1.5. So if you can reach your existing santee, with 72 inches as the bug crawls, then great.

IPC also lets you use an AAV, but a real vent thru the roof is better.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks