Old Water Supply Lines

Users who are viewing this thread

cougarcat454

Reaction score
I want to cut these supply lines back and put a shut off on them. Then go with longer flexible supply lines like the short ones that are on there now. Right now these supply lines are threaded on the end. They are a flexible metal seem to bend like copper, but they are silver in color on the outside. My question is, are these a standard half inch supply line? Will I be able to buy a shut off valve with a compression fitting that will fit on these pipes?

Plumbing 1.jpg
Plumbing 2.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I see a label on the flex line, what pipe ends are listed on the label?
Off hand I would guess that the pipes coming up from the floor were 1/2" galvanized steel threaded on the end. I could be wrong though.

Reach4

Reaction score
Assuming Terry is right, I would go with a 1/2" FIP x 3/8" OD Compression Angle Stop Valve, and not cut the pipe. Then get a common connector line made to connect to 3/8 compression.

611-53-31-1.jpg
611-53-31-2.jpg

Or if that is over a basement or crawl space, you could start some repiping.

That existing flex connector looks white in your photo.

cougarcat454

Reaction score
I see a label on the flex line, what pipe ends are listed on the label?
Off hand I would guess that the pipes coming up from the floor were 1/2" galvanized steel threaded on the end. I could be wrong though.

If it is that type of pipe. Can I put a compression fitting on it? Same size I would put on a copper pipe? Then of course the outlet on the compression fitted shut off would need to be the correct size for my new flex line. I am not home right now. I can see what the label says a bit later.

cougarcat454

Reaction score
Here is what is on there now. So really no good way to shorten up by cutting it off and putting a new end on it.
Just get a shut off to go on top and then hook my supply line back on?

supply-line-12.jpg

cougarcat454

Reaction score
Assuming Terry is right, I would go with a 1/2" FIP x 3/8" OD Compression Angle Stop Valve, and not cut the pipe. Then get a common connector line made to connect to 3/8 compression.

611-53-31-1.jpg
611-53-31-2.jpg

Or if that is over a basement or crawl space, you could start some repiping.

That existing flex connector looks white in your photo.

Second floor two story house. So it originates in the basement;)
I could probably do it. But don't think, I am going to dig in to it that far.

cougarcat454

Reaction score
Here is what is at the base of the long pipes. Looks like threaded galvanized pipe. Should I be able to just take it off at the threads. Then add a shorter pipe that I could put a shut off on then run longer flexible lines. Trying to make it easier to get the plumbing out of the way of the drawers on the vanity I am going to install.
Plumbing new.JPG

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks