Top of Toilet Flange Is Flush with Substrate

Users who are viewing this thread

Eurovw89

Reaction score
All,

**Edit - My apologize I see that this is just a shower/bathtub forum....my mistake. Is there any way I can relocate this or does an admin need to?**

Good evening (est). Want to say what great forum with a lot of information and thank you to everyone who has contributed.

My question is about tiling and toilet flange. I know there has been a lot of discussion about this topic, but I searched and could not find a solution to my issue.

First a little back story... The previous homeowner glued & screwed the backboard to the subfloor, and then mortared the tile. When I pulled up the old tile/backerboard, it was pulling up little bit of the sub floor in certain areas. The subfloor is 7/8 and 24oc and for a little extra security since i am laying 6x24 plank tile, I put down 3/8 to help smooth out the subfloor so the uncoupling membrane would be smooth and true. The existing flange is installed to the subfloor and not the top of the finished floor. I know the flange needs to be extended so it can be install on top of the finish floor.....which brings me to my question.

Since I will be installing a flange extension, do I still need to tile "around" the flange, or could I tile right over the existing flange and then just around the opening of the drain (picture #2). Then install the extension flange, and screw through the tile, mortar, existing flange and then into the subfloor?

FYI....there is not access to the below as it is a finished ceiling.

From the picture below you can see how the flange if flush.

20210303_183941.jpg

20210303_184037.jpg

The main reason I ask is since these are 6x24 plank tiles, there will not be much tile left after I cut the hole out for the flange.....no matter how I lay the tile around the flange. I have install tile on new construction (basements) and tiled right to the drain, installed the tile which left me enough tile to install the flange on top of finish floor without the fear of cracking. Of course I would be removing and left over wax ring and clean it prior to laying tile.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Jeff

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Since I will be installing a flange extension,
Most people suggest against flange extensions. Instead use a regular wax ring topped by a wax ring with a plastic horn.
If you think the plastic ring will have trouble holding the closet bolts, consider a repair ring to accept the closet bolts.

When using wax, have shims in place before dropping the toilet onto the wax. You don't want to decompress wax.

Strongly avoid a solution that calls for drilling porcelain tile.

DANCO Model 10672X is Hydroseat may fit your needs. Read up on it. You put wax under it. This would fit cases where the feet are going to be on top of the finished floor, and you can drill holes for the feet. You may be able to use the holes not on the feet to hold it down to avoid drilling flooring.

Eurovw89

Reaction score
Most people suggest against flange extensions. Instead use a regular wax ring topped by a wax ring with a plastic horn.
If you think the plastic ring will have trouble holding the closet bolts, consider a repair ring to accept the closet bolts.

When using wax, have shims in place before dropping the toilet onto the wax. You don't want to decompress wax.

Strongly avoid a solution that calls for drilling porcelain tile.

DANCO Model 10672X is Hydroseat may fit your needs. Read up on it. You put wax under it. This would fit cases where the feet are going to be on top of the finished floor, and you can drill holes for the feet. You may be able to use the holes not on the feet to hold it down to avoid drilling flooring.

Thank you. Even with the limited surface area of the tile?

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have used a flange extension that fits inside the drain which would allow what you say.
But normally I stack two wax rings and that has worked well for almost 50 years for me. I have installed thousands that way, and never a call back.

neorest-install-03.jpg

The push Tite works too. If I have to cut it down shorter because of a 90 bend I remove the paper sticker.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thank you. Even with the limited surface area of the tile?
You would want tile under each of the four feet, at least.
next-by-danco-toilet-flanges-10672x-e1_100.webp

While you have the tile saw, you could make that happen I expect.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks