Sharkbite Water Heater Corrugated connection kit LEAKING!

Users who are viewing this thread

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
To start. Brand new water heater with a powered anode on well water with a softener. Have you ever seen this before? Its leaking from the actual corrugated pipe! This install is less than 2 months old and I just happened to look at the top of the water heater and noticed a water drop stain..

After inspecting its not leaking from the Sharkbite connector. There are a few rust spots on the pipe and water is seeping from one of them!! If I wipe the spot with my finger, water immediately seeps from the pinhole..WTF! Its supposed to be stainless, NOT RUST. I specifically chose the corrugated over the braided rubber for this exact reason.. avoiding a potential burst or blowout.

Here is a picture of the rust spots. Its right after the Sharkbite Connecter goes back into the wall from the hot side. This connection kit was brand new in the package. I guess I am going to have to run to Home Depot and replace this EFFING thing.. Its always something..

pipe.jpg

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
Poor quality........what else is there to say ?
Exactly! Stainless is not supposed to rust.. of its it does its its superficial stains.. Like a Stainless cleat on a salt water boat. This is clearly a corrosion pinhole. I just want to make sure I did not set up some sort of chemistry experiment and the combination of soft water + Powered Anode = RUST HOLES.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phog

Reaction score
Stainless steel is not corrosion proof, it can be an anode (or in other words, corrode) when in a galvanic couple with many materials including (I think) mild steel. This would be the exact situation in your water heater. Even so this should not happen anywhere near as fast as what you're seeing, it should be an extremely slow corrosion. Maybe the powered anode is helping drive this reaction much faster? I would love to see a picture of what the inside of those stainless flex tubes looks like -- like cut in half lengthwise.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
I had a pinhole leak the other day on a stainless corrugated supply line. Even my supplier had never heard of that. Now you're the second one.
They are blaming everything on the corona virus these days
and breakdowns in the chain of production ....

I had one too but they are very rare indeed

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They are blaming everything on the corona virus these days
and breakdowns in the chain of production ....

I had one too but they are very rare indeed

We're up to three now. Woohoo!

One time the threads on an expansion tank weren't cut right. I had to go back for a second tank, and the crummy thing was that when I picked up the water heater I was thinking I should get two expansion tanks, and then I talked myself out of it.

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
Stainless steel is not corrosion proof, it can be an anode (or in other words, corrode) when in a galvanic couple with many materials including (I think) mild steel. This would be the exact situation in your water heater. Even so this should not happen anywhere near as fast as what you're seeing, it should be an extremely slow corrosion. Maybe the powered anode is helping drive this reaction much faster? I would love to see a picture of what the inside of those stainless flex tubes looks like -- like cut in half lengthwise.

Here is a photo of the inside. Did not have to cut it open to see the situation. If I dumped that part in muriatic acid. It would not have done that. Some effed up stainless steel. I replaced the hose with a new one this morning.

4C023D50-9D45-466E-A739-1831D85DAC89.jpeg
View attachment 70755

Last edited:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Even the conventional copper corrugated flex are leaking now. I had one leak, I didn't even bend it much at all, and it leaked.
They import them from China, where copper is not really copper...

Reaction score
There are many grades of stainless steel. An easy check is for better corrosions resistant stainless steels (300 series SS) is to see if a magnet is attracted to it or not. Most 300 series SS are not magnetic and have good corrosions resistance. If a magnet is attracted to it like most steel it's going to rust like most steels too.

Care should be taken when connecting difference metals. Galvanic corrosion can easily occur. There are tables that list the galvanic potential of difference metal. https://l-36.com/corrosion.php. A good practice is make sure that galvanic potential of components in a system are of the same or similar potential. If for some reason metals of different galvanic potential are in the same system they are they should be isolated from each other electrically (if it's plumbing system, assume that water conductive). So don't use aluminum and stainless together.

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
There are many grades of stainless steel. An easy check is for better corrosions resistant stainless steels (300 series SS) is to see if a magnet is attracted to it or not. Most 300 series SS are not magnetic and have good corrosions resistance. If a magnet is attracted to it like most steel it's going to rust like most steels too.

Care should be taken when connecting difference metals. Galvanic corrosion can easily occur. There are tables that list the galvanic potential of difference metal. https://l-36.com/corrosion.php. A good practice is make sure that galvanic potential of components in a system are of the same or similar potential. If for some reason metals of different galvanic potential are in the same system they are they should be isolated from each other electrically (if it's plumbing system, assume that water conductive). So don't use aluminum and stainless together.
Considering I was using a purpose built pipe for a water heater, I should not have to worry about galvanic reactions.. This pipe was only installed for 2 weeks before I noticed what was happening. This pipe was facked up right out of the package.. The new replacement pipe is still perfect..

Paulypfunk

In the Trades
Reaction score
Could you have bad electrical grounding? You might have a tiny bit of loose electrical current across that section of piping, which can accelerate rust. Maybe the powered anode is contributing? I would check the piping and the heater with a multimeter to see if you have any spark on any combination of metal.

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
Could you have bad electrical grounding? You might have a tiny bit of loose electrical current across that section of piping, which can accelerate rust. Maybe the powered anode is contributing? I would check the piping and the heater with a multimeter to see if you have any spark on any combination of metal.
Actually nothing changed between the first defective pipe and the replacement. As I said, I may have never even noticed the rust stains on the pipe when I installed it. I only noticed it when I saw water dripping. The new pipe has been fine for a month now.. Maybe will try a meter on them them just for the hell of it..

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Actually nothing changed between the first defective pipe and the replacement. As I said, I may have never even noticed the rust stains on the pipe when I installed it. I only noticed it when I saw water dripping. The new pipe has been fine for a month now.. Maybe will try a meter on them them just for the hell of it..
Sharkbite brand name or just referring to that type of connection

Reach4

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the rust spots. Its right after the Sharkbite Connecter goes back into the wall from the hot side. This connection kit was brand new in the package. I guess I am going to have to run to Home Depot and replace this EFFING thing..
HD replaced it free with the same model, but not the flaws?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I wonder if there may be counterfeit parts rumbling around the system. Generally, Sharkbite products seem to work when used and installed per instructions.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks