Can you place a flexible cap over a cleanout

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I am replacing my 4" clean out flush plug with something that will loosely go over the top instead. Like a flexible cap.
However, I am not sure if a 4" Fernco flexible cap with a hose clamp will just fit over the top as the outside diameter of the end of the clean out has those ridges that creating a larger outer diameter?
Here is a link to a 4" clean out that looks similar to what we have installed and poking out of the ground:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/NIBCO-4...MERCH=REC-_-searchViewed-_-NA-_-205840065-_-N

Here is a link to a 4" cap that I want to place over top, just not sure it will fit?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fernco-4-in-Plastic-DWV-Flexible-Cap-PQC-104/100372305?NCNI-5

Ideally I need something that can sit on top and be a bit loose so if there is a back up the cap will be pushed away and the back flow will come out of the clean out. They make $25 devices that screw in but this could work for 4$ too?

Can a 4" flexible cap sit over a 4" clean out? Again check out how thick the outside diameter of the end of the clean out as shown in the link.

Before I buy these just wanted to see if anyone could give me some advise if they have done this?

Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not addressing what is permitted, or even it the concept is a good idea.

The rubber cap you pointed to, as far as I can tell, is made to go over the end of a 4 inch pipe, which is 4.5 inches OD. Your fitting in the yard may be considerably larger.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
We use rubber 4" caps all the time to serve as loose-enough outdoor caps. We remove the hose clamp to make sure some numbskull doesn't come along to tighten the hose clamp.
A 4" cap is designed to go over pipe so won't work w/ your existing fitting.
Just buy the expensive screw in pop off if you want the simplest solution.

Reaction score
Just buy the expensive screw in pop off if you want the simplest solution.

I might first ask a few questions along the way before doing it the easy way.
4$ caps x 10 clean outs $40
27$ pop offs x 10 clean outs = $270

Easy comes with a price right. Figure I would do a little homework first, see if someone has experience with this scenario.
Thanks

Reaction score
Well 54 clean outs at the complex. but they will not be the same sizes so 10 is a nice round number for what I need. Is that helpful or were you just saying "10 clean outs?" like that is a lot for one house, no really knowing this is for a complex. All good. Just looking for help, but happy to clarify anything if it helps.

Reach4

Reaction score
Well 54 clean outs at the complex. but they will not be the same sizes so 10 is a nice round number for what I need. Is that helpful or were you just saying "10 clean outs?" like that is a lot for one house, no really knowing this is for a complex.
That's it. However for a complex, there is an an increased chance of children lifting the caps, and dropping stuff in.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks