Users who are viewing this thread

Rebekah Rich

Reaction score
Hello,

I am in need of some advice. My 50 gallon electric water heater was recently leaking at the connection from the cold water supply. That's been fixed, and still no hot water- so I opened up the bottom panel and discovered the insulation was wet. Turned out the leak had caused a lot of rust around the thermostat and heating element- I included a picture. The plastic protective cover was also a bit fried/crispy and the insulation slightly charred, indicating it got quite hot.

Is this something that can be fixed (replace element/thermostat, maybe wiring, and get rid of the rust with baking soda/wire brush)? Or will the whole heater need to be replaced?

Thanks in advance!

20210227_220507.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would replace the water heater. How old is it? Anything over ten years isn't worth putting any money into.
It's also kind of scary. 240 volts can do a lot of damage to someone.

Rebekah Rich

Reaction score
I would replace the water heater. How old is it? Anything over ten years isn't worth putting any money into.
It's also kind of scary. 240 volts can do a lot of damage to someone.
Unfortunately it's only 5 years old, so I was really hoping to save it if possible.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
With no power at all, it's normally the top element not working. That could be a reset of the thermostat, or a bad element.
With that much rust on everything, you would want to at least clean as much up as possible and check the connections. They do make element testers to check continuity. Not a very good job for someone's first time. Electricity is not like running water over your hand to see if it's warm. I am extremely careful when working with it. Testing the elements is done with the power off at the main box.

The top element heats the water first.
When the top half reaches temperature, then the power switches to the lower element.

Sarg

Enjoy Learning
Reaction score
It does not look like it is worth saving. Thermostat appears ruined as does the element as in "melted".
Even replacing the components doesn't negate the rusting tank and more important the puzzle as to what happened.
If it is five years old it is a true candidate for a warranty recovery.

Last edited:

Rebekah Rich

Reaction score
With no power at all, it's normally the top element not working. That could be a reset of the thermostat, or a bad element.
With that much rust on everything, you would want to at least clean as much up as possible and check the connections. They do make element testers to check continuity. Not a very good job for someone's first time. Electricity is not like running water over your hand to see if it's warm. I am extremely careful when working with it. Testing the elements is done with the power off at the main box.

The top element heats the water first.
When the top half reaches temperature, then the power switches to the lower element.
Right, I've already replaced the top thermostat and heating element, and still no hot water. I opened up the bottom panel and saw this.

Onokai

Reaction score
You will need new thermostats and to clean it all up-it looks nasty-what brand is it -definitely had water in there to rush like that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks