Replacing toilet need advice

Users who are viewing this thread

April2

Reaction score
Hi there, I think I have a leaking wax ring cause seeing water coming up thru edges of toilet base and in any cracks of ceramic tile around toilet. This is on cement but I believe the ceramic was put in around toilet with grout at edges of toilet base and not on top of the ceramic. Will there be a problem when plumber comes out to put new wax ring in and or replace toilet? I have included pics. Thank you for your opinion.

PlumbNuts

SC Licensed Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
riverviewplumbingrepair.com
Your plumber should be able to resolve that issue; based on the pictures it may be neccesary to have a little tile work done if a new toilet is required.
If you have a reputable, licensed plumber he (she) should be able to provide a proper solution.

Reach4

Reaction score
Wax failure can be due to plunging a toilet where the blockage is below the toilet rather than in the trapway of the actual toilet.

If you use a plunger more often than every two person-years, expect that you either have a drain line clog, or you would be better off with a more-modern toilet.

April2

Reaction score
Your plumber should be able to resolve that issue; based on the pictures it may be neccesary to have a little tile work done if a new toilet is required.
If you have a reputable, licensed plumber he (she) should be able to provide a proper solution.
Ty for your reply. The overflow tube has always had a tiny crack in it so I thought I should just have toilet replaced while they are replacing ring anyways, but if the tube can be replaced I will be happy with that, cause I thought maybe replacing toilet with exact measurements might be difficult, it’s 36yo. Talking to a handyman today on the phone was depressing as he said once toilet brought up can never get it even and flat again, need to have someone come in and place spacers, put tile underneath, and then do toilet. Talked to a handyman just to get another opinion cause plumbers can’t come til Tuesday.

April2

Reaction score
Wax failure can be due to plunging a toilet where the blockage is below the toilet rather than in the trapway of the actual toilet.

If you use a plunger more often than every two person-years, expect that you either have a drain line clog, or you would be better off with a more-modern toilet.
Yes, thought it might be time to replace it. Do you think replacing it will be difficult? Can the grout just be cut out along the base, get a toilet that kind of fits in there and then regrout along base again? I’m not too picky bout how it will look if not too bad. And can you cut the toilet out without damage or cracks if just to replace wax ring?

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Ty for your reply. The overflow tube has always had a tiny crack in it so I thought I should just have toilet replaced while they are replacing ring anyways, but if the tube can be replaced I will be happy with that, cause I thought maybe replacing toilet with exact measurements might be difficult, it’s 36yo. Talking to a handyman today on the phone was depressing as he said once toilet brought up can never get it even and flat again, need to have someone come in and place spacers, put tile underneath, and then do toilet. Talked to a handyman just to get another opinion cause plumbers can’t come til Tuesday.
If that is mortar, somebody could chip that out. Shims can level the toilet as much as you want, but mainly shimming to avoid rocking is the norm. Plaster of Paris is used in some places, but probably not AZ.

Acrylic caulk around the front and sides can hide a gap and fill a crack.

If you get a new toilet, some have a wider base. Toto Soiree https://terrylove.com/pdf/ms964214cefg.pdf has a wide base that can cover most footprints.

Last edited by a moderator:

PlumbNuts

Reaction score
Website
Question: is the handyman licensed and insured to do plumbing work?What if he does an incorrect install and causes damage to your home, who pays for the damages?
A licensed, insured plumber is worth waiting on; the leak didn't occur yesterday a couple of days more isn't going to hurt.

April2

Reaction score
Question: is the handyman licensed and insured to do plumbing work?What if he does an incorrect install and causes damage to your home, who pays for the damages?
A licensed, insured plumber is worth waiting on; the leak didn't occur yesterday a couple of days more isn't going to hurt.
I was going to ask him about license and bond, but his attitude deterred me anyways. Started off by rudely telling me that was a poor install, should never have been done that way. I moved in the house 25years ago and that’s how it was.

April2

Reaction score
Can someone tell me if a plumber will be able to get a toilet pretty easy to kind of match or do I need to do searching on internet. I have spent a lot of time on this as I thought leak was coming from some where else first like the shower or sink cause leaking wasnt consistentent, since it depended where I walked on the tile and where it squeezed water from. Turned different faucets off and on, hot water, then cold water, blah blah, tissue test diff places, dye test in bowl then flush which took a while to show up cause the water doesn’t leak directly from toilet on top of tile, goes underneath tile so dye gets diluted pretty much before it reached the tissue had down to check. Finally saw remnants of blue dye on tissues placed on floor. Anyways I’m senior with disability, and this has taken a toll mentally and physically on me cause I try to figure things out on my own so I have a little grasp of what’s going on. I have been “tricked” before. Thank you for listening and helping.

PlumbNuts

Reaction score
Website
Can someone tell me if a plumber will be able to get a toilet pretty easy to kind of match or do I need to do searching on internet. I have spent a lot of time on this as I thought leak was coming from some where else first like the shower or sink cause leaking wasnt consistentent, since it depended where I walked on the tile and where it squeezed water from. Turned different faucets off and on, hot water, then cold water, blah blah, tissue test diff places, dye test in bowl then flush which took a while to show up cause the water doesn’t leak directly from toilet on top of tile, goes underneath tile so dye gets diluted pretty much before it reached the tissue had down to check. Finally saw remnants of blue dye on tissues placed on floor. Anyways I’m senior with disability, and this has taken a toll mentally and physically on me cause I try to figure things out on my own so I have a little grasp of what’s going on. I have been “tricked” before. Thank you for listening and helping.
Hire a licensed and insured plumbing contractor that you have checked reviews on and then let him guide you. It is not that big of an issue, don't lose sleep over it.

April2

Reaction score
If that is mortar, somebody could chip that out. Shims can level the toilet as much as you want, but mainly shimming to avoid rocking is the norm. Plaster of Paris is used in some places, but probably not AZ.

Acrylic caulk around the front and sides can hide a gap and fill a crack.

If you get a new toilet, some have a wider base. Toto Soiree https://terrylove.com/pdf/ms964214cefg.pdf has a wide base that can cover most footprints.
Had a plumber over today. Wants to refer me to a restoration company they work with and go thru my insurance. Says doesn’t think he can do a good job removing toilet and best to have tile replaced and see what other damage done and then new toilet. Restoration company called within 10 mins, wants to come today to have phone call w insurance company and told guy to take toilet out. I said no slow down. Have second opinion plumber coming later today. I don’t see any other damage. Walls look fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

April2

Reaction score
2nd opinion. Same thing. Wants to refer me to their in company restoring people. Says by looking at bolt connecting toilet down that the flange is prob bad will cost me at least 700 if I pay out of pocket but insurance will pay it if I go thru them plus I’ll get new tile. Says I’m in stage 3. And 700 just to fix flange

April2

Reaction score
2nd opinion. Same thing. Wants to refer me to their in company restoring people. Says by looking at bolt connecting toilet down that the flange is prob bad will cost me at least 700 if I pay out of pocket but insurance will pay it if I go thru them plus I’ll get new tile. Says I’m in stage 3.
So have 3rd plumber coming in morning. I just don’t like idea of restoration people. My sister worked with them once and was nightmare. And the two diff ones recommended by these people don’t have good reviews. One of the restoring guys told plumber to take my toilet out now even though he hadn’t met with me or insurance company yet. 1. It’s my only toilet 2. What if insurance says no, I’m stuck without a toilet til plumber comes back to up his price in installation. I said ty but I’ll keep the toilet for now. I’m being careful about how often to flush and doing the Mexico thing you know if it’s yellow let it mellow and so on. Lol

Last edited:

PlumbNuts

Reaction score
Website
You said this is your only toilet so the natural presumption for a plumber would be that it is on the first floor of your home, if this is an accurate presumption then what type of floor do you have? Is your home on a crawlspace?, is there an open basement below? Is it on a concrete slab?
Can you physically see the underneath side of where your toilet is? If you can see it, is there any water damage to the subfloor and structure?

April2

Reaction score
It’s a townhome only one floor on concrete. No basement. I’m thinking I don’t really want to replace tile. It’s porcelain or ceramic( I can’t tell the difference) if I have to I will. The water leakage looks clean doesn’t smell. Just because the bolts holding toilet down look old with rust does that mean flange is bad too? There were no covers over bolts and being 35yo home with kids and water splash from sink or overflows I would expect those bolts to look bad. If they won’t screw off, why can’t they cut them off, remove toilet, fill in empty space with quick rite to level with existing tile height, either put flange extender or thick wax ring and new toilet down. Of course replace bolts in flange if needed. Put new toilet down. If flange is damage does it really cost $700 to fix? Is there something wrong with my idea? When I suggest this to plumber guys they act like not conceivable. One plumber says I’m not a cement guy, you would have to do that. My sister had underground pipe work done in her bathroom and the plumbers recovered area with cement. Of course I guess if someone was to come in after me and want tile replaced with lvp they would have to remove the cement I guess, but right now I’m here. What do you think bout my idea?

Last edited:

PlumbNuts

Reaction score
Website
Sounds to me like you are about ready to tackle the job yourself!
If I were there I would not be guessing at what "might" be; but would pull the toilet to see exactly what "is".
I know it is your only toilet and right now it is presumed to be leaking at the seal, worse case scenario once it is pulled even if more work is required it can always be temporarily set back into position until you can get proper repair estimates.
Before anyone else pops off, I know this is not the proper method but sometimes in emergencies you do what is neccesary! you just don't leave it like that.

Question: Are you sure that the leak is coming from under the toilet and that it is not actually water dripping from the bottom of the tank and running down the bolt? (Indicative of bad Tank-to-Bowl bolts)

Reach4

Reaction score
A waxless seal or wax ring can be useful for putting the toilet back temporarily.

Take photos of what you see when the toilet is pulled, and post one.

I know it is your only toilet and right now it is presumed to be leaking at the seal, worse case scenario once it is pulled even if more work is required it can always be temporarily set back into position until you can get proper repair estimates.
I think you are saying that putting the toilet back after the photos, with only the old wax sealing is often workable. That makes sense.

April2

Reaction score
Sounds to me like you are about ready to tackle the job yourself!
If I were there I would not be guessing at what "might" be; but would pull the toilet to see exactly what "is".
Before anyone else pops off, I know this is not the proper method but sometimes in emergencies you do what is neccesary! you just don't leave it like that.

Question: Are you sure that the leak is coming from under the toilet and that it is not actually water dripping from the bottom of the tank and running down the bolt? (Indicative of bad Tank-to-Bowl bolts)
Lol. If I was younger I would. I used to do a lot of repairs. No plumber wants to do repair yet unless I talk to their “restoration guy” then if insurance doesn’t ok it they will tackle it, but at this point I don’t trust them. Still waiting for third opinion who was supposed to be here by now. :(. It’s not leak between tank and bowl it’s been checked, also no pipe behind wall, they checked meter. Also colored water I put in bowl only, was showing up in leaked water. I feel like I need an independent plumber who is not connected with some restoration company but seems to be hard to find. But do you think my idea about cementing to tile level and extender idea can work?

April2

Reaction score
A waxless seal or wax ring can be useful for putting the toilet back temporarily.

Take photos of what you see when the toilet is pulled, and post one.

I think you are saying that putting the toilet back after the photos, with only the old wax sealing is often workable. That makes sense.
I will take pics. I just need someone who is ready to chip toilet away. No one wants to do it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks