Kitchen sink drain conection

Users who are viewing this thread

Marieon

Reaction score
I need help with a kitchen sink drain, we had a new granite counter top and sink installed, I had the sink sent directly to the installers for proper fitting, didn’t realize they where sent the wrong depth sink till after everything was installed, Sink is 9 inch deep not the 6 inch I ordered. My drain inlet is to high now to connect both sides of sink to current drain. I could possibly hook up one side of sink with a very short tail pipe piece, the other side I was wondering if I put a 45 wye in the vertical drain stack in the basement, I could add another drain line up to the other side of the sink and also get a dishwasher wye in for a new dishwasher we want to install along with an AAV required now by MN code.

Attachments

• DC7AA2A7-C1A7-4CDE-9DD2-EC113DA66C6F.jpeg
    DC7AA2A7-C1A7-4CDE-9DD2-EC113DA66C6F.jpeg
    81.9 KB · Views: 177

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You might want to consider removing the 45 near the wall and installing a wye there to pick up the two bowls.
Having sinks that are that deep makes things harder and you need to be more inventive.
Having baskets that take less space helps too.

Marieon

Reaction score
You might want to consider removing the 45 near the wall and installing a wye there to pick up the two bowls.
Having sinks that are that deep makes things harder and you need to be more inventive.
Having baskets that take less space helps too.

Marieon

Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestions, unfortunately even with shorter baskets the piping leaves me no room to get the dishwasher wye in and no room for a dishwasher tail piece either. I opened up the wall more and the 45 near the wall is really a wye 45 and a 45 degree coupling connected to some other pipe I think it might be an up line vent.
84C789F5-846A-454B-8A2A-7F3C3DC14516.jpeg I’d like to run a new drain pipe up through a 3” hole that’s already next to the original drain from the basement, installing a new 45 wye and a 45 elbow up to the sink with a 90 long sweep and into the cabinet.
BD085F19-92EA-441F-A1AB-15471B774B14.jpeg

I’d like to cut the metal pipe in this area or in the white circled area. I’d add a small piece of pvc to the wye and add a rubber couplings to the top and bottom existing metal pipe. The little green line is the 45 wye
5C02AEDA-87C9-47EE-98DE-031C380BA962.jpeg
I have a concern about the pvc pipe being right up next to the hot water pipe running up to the radiators. You can see in the yellow circled areas that the current metal pipe is almost on top of it and I wonder if the PVC would be effected by it.
9AB4FBE1-3C6A-40A4-A7C7-DF99CBF30A17.jpeg
A small section of the pipe in the basement was replace before due to rusted out coupling. I would just rebook up to that splice on the lower end.

Again thanks for the help

Reach4

Reaction score
have a concern about the pvc pipe being right up next to the hot water pipe running up to the radiators. You can see in the yellow circled areas that the current metal pipe is almost on top of it and I wonder if the PVC would be effected by it.
I would jog around that in plastic with a pair of 22.5 degree bends.

Alternatively, you could put a section of 2 inch type K copper pipe in place, with the appropriate couplings.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Copper-Tube-2-125-2-NPS-x-48-inches-Type-K/362705064258

Type L may be thick enough
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Copper-Tube-2-125-2-NPS-x-12-inches-Type-L/362698199198

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks