Use of 90 Degree Elbow (not vent elbow) for Vertical to Horizontal Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

emazz1

Reaction score
Need some advice for a first time DIY plumber here.

I'm roughing in drains for a double vanity. I'm using 1.5" drains from each traveling horizontal in the wall to meet a 1.5" vertical drain, with a vent going up from that. The bathroom has a 3" waste pipe that runs perpendicular to the vertical lav drain pipe, but is not directly below it. Can I use a 90 degree elbow or a 90 degree long sweep at he bottom of the vertical drain to then tie into a wye I'm adding to the 3" waste pipe?

Staring at the sink wall, the vertical drain would hit the 90 degree elbow and come straight out towards you, and then tie into the 3" waste pipe. Is the 90 appropriate?

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
For vertical to horizontal drainage, a long sweep 90 IS the fitting to use.
When more than one lav drain, two inch pipe should handle the combined load. Inch and a half is fine for combined vents.
When horiz. drain connects to vertical, a Tee fitting is used. Unnecessary to use a WYE.

abs_long_med.jpg

emazz1

Reaction score
For vertical to horizontal drainage, a long sweep 90 IS the fitting to use.
When more than one lav drain, two inch pipe should handle the combined load. Inch and a half is fine for combined vents.
When horiz. drain connects to vertical, a Tee fitting is used. Unnecessary to use a WYE.

Thanks breplum. So if I have a lav sink on each side of the vertical drain, I would use a double sanitary tee to meet in the middle, with my vent going up, correct? Also, after I use the long sweep 90 to transition from vertical to horizontal, does it matter if I use a wye or a long sweep to tie into my 3" horizontal drain pipe?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
A wye or Combination wye&1/8th bend / Long sweep tee (as the box stores call them) are both appropriate. The combi is a wye with a 45 to make it the long sweep.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks