Need help with compatibility of old Delta Shower Faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

AdamCP

Reaction score
My home was built in 1994 and the shower/tub trim kit I'd like to replace is original (see pic). I thought that it was a 1500 series so I bought RP32104 cartridge from Delta and a 1700 series trim kit T17430-SS. However, when I went to take the old unit apart I noticed the trim ring screw holes were both at the bottom at roughly 5 and 7 o clock as opposed to 1 and 7 o clock on the new one. My question is can I find a compatible trim ring with the screw holes at the bottom and use the rest of what I bought, or is everything incompatible with the rough-in that's currently installed?

delta-1500-maybe.jpg

Last edited:

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Remove your trim and look at the valve body. I still have some 1500 series valves and they will accept the screws at 5 and 7 and 8 and 2 as well.

AdamCP

Reaction score
Remove your trim and look at the valve body. I still have some 1500 series valves and they will accept the screws at 5 and 7 and 8 and 2 as well.

You were right. There were 4 screw holes in the rough in, so the escutcheon fit just fine. However, the old assembly had a threaded bonnet nut and the replacement kit I bought just has an unthreaded sleeve. So I've had to Frankenstein it for now until I can figure out what piece to get to make everything stay in place tightly. If I slide this unthreaded sleeve over it fits just fine, but it doesn't hold the cartridge in nice and tight. Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks!

adamcp-01.jpg

adamcp-02.jpg

adamcp-03.jpg

JohnE316

Reaction score
I just did the same replacement.... The o-ring that @Marlinman has in his photo goes on. It makes for a tight fit though. I used some liquid soap to lubricate it so I could push it on over the ring.

Also, I had the same issue with the screw locations. I wonder if they make a longer screw. The one at 1 o'clock is set deeper on my valve (I think it was plumbed in crooked).

You were right. There were 4 screw holes in the rough in, so the escutcheon fit just fine. However, the old assembly had a threaded bonnet nut and the replacement kit I bought just has an unthreaded sleeve. So I've had to Frankenstein it for now until I can figure out what piece to get to make everything stay in place tightly. If I slide this unthreaded sleeve over it fits just fine, but it doesn't hold the cartridge in nice and tight. Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks!

adamcp-01.jpg

adamcp-02.jpg

adamcp-03.jpg

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
For a longer screw Delta has a RP12630SS that is 4" long. Or you can pick one up at most hardware stores. The thread size is 10-24. Make certain the screw is stainless steel.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks