Replacing the tub in my bathroom. Have new base on the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

NoviceLurker

Reaction score
Next step in my bathroom redo! The shower base!
The base I settled on is a cast iron from Kohler linked below. I wanted something that will last the next 100 years of the house and is durable for when I rent out the aprtment. It's a single threshold and would have to build a new wall to accommodate. I like the idea of an open bathroom with a dual threshold. Could I build a short curb of sorts on the right side that comes up to the height of the base when tiled and use a 90 degree shower curtain rod? One note is the floor is staying in the bathroom. It's 100 year old, small hexagon subway tile in good shape. The new wall, or hopefully curb, will have to go on top of that.

So, can I build the short curb? If I can or can't, how should I build the wall going on top of the tile floor? Drill pilot holes through it and screw into the wood that's below?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/KOHLER-S...53-0/100675330

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
It's sized the same as a CI tub and cast iron is not secured in any fashion. This base weights almost 200 lbs. A typical resin base is about 25 lbs. It will stay put but usually the floor tile would butt up to it. It is designed for a three wall installation, see page 5. You want it to last forever and tough enough for renters use, but having an open wall with a curtain will not fly. Water will spray over on the the floor and eventually ruin it. You can build a curb for tiling so it can be waterproofed, or build a knee wall 30" high and glass on the top part for the open look. For a curb or knee wall you will have to drill into the floor to secure it.

https://images.homedepot-static.com/catalog/pdfImages/1a/1a8cc587-eccb-4609-a48f-4b7898ac9b58.pdf

NoviceLurker

Reaction score
It's sized the same as a CI tub and cast iron is not secured in any fashion. This base weights almost 200 lbs. A typical resin base is about 25 lbs. It will stay put but usually the floor tile would butt up to it. It is designed for a three wall installation, see page 5. You want it to last forever and tough enough for renters use, but having an open wall with a curtain will not fly. Water will spray over on the the floor and eventually ruin it. You can build a curb for tiling so it can be waterproofed, or build a knee wall 30" high and glass on the top part for the open look. For a curb or knee wall you will have to drill into the floor to secure it.

https://images.homedepot-static.com/catalog/pdfImages/1a/1a8cc587-eccb-4609-a48f-4b7898ac9b58.pdf
Thanks for the feedback, WorthFlorida. I have a 90 degree curtain rod in one of my other apartments, and there's no water spray outside that shower. Using two curtains, obviously. For a curb, just stack two, or so, 2x4's on top of each other and drill the first one through the floor and the other into the wood below and then finish with Durorock or equivalent?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, WorthFlorida. I have a 90 degree curtain rod in one of my other apartments, and there's no water spray outside that shower. Using two curtains, obviously. For a curb, just stack two, or so, 2x4's on top of each other and drill the first one through the floor and the other into the wood below and then finish with Durorock or equivalent?
Check the installation instructions for how to tile up to the base so the tile overlaps the rim. 3.5” may not be enough. Do use RedGard to waterproof.

Alexander Bull

Reaction score
I appreciate your more of making this intelligent smart bathroom. in your other bathroom remodeled bathroom, there is how much space and how's your setup please share with us. However you can use different type of curtain rod there, Which will add a lot of beauty of your bathroom remodeling.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks