Why is this plumbed this way? Grohe twin ell

Users who are viewing this thread

Sokolq55

Reaction score
I’ve seen some shower/tub plumbing where the tub faucet line is routed in a U (sort like a p trap) from the valve to the tub stub out. Why is this done that way in some cases?

81646C7C-0A41-478A-B043-9DBB6785DF21.jpeg

Reach4

Reaction score
I’ve seen some shower/tub plumbing where the tub faucet line is routed in a U (sort like a p trap) from the valve to the tub stub out. Why is this done that way in some cases?
No functional reason that I can think of as you drew it.

Edit: On the other hand, the twin-ell has a great functional reason.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
grohe-twin-ell.jpg

perhaps the Grohe Twin Ell is what you're thinking of?
It makes sure that when the tub is run that water isn't forced up to the shower head with the diverter tub spout.

• Required for Shower/Tub Combinations with Diverter Spout (EXCLUDING GrohSafe™ Rough-In Valves)
grohe-twin-ell-to-spout.jpg

Last edited:

Sokolq55

Reaction score
No functional reason that I can think of as you drew it.

Edit: On the other hand, the twin-ell has a great functional reason.

That’s what I was thinking. This is the way i saw it installed with a thermostatic valve with an integrated three-way diverted in the valve so I didn’t think the double ell applied in that case.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
some valves require twin ell been awhile since i did one other wise it wont function proper if has one dont remove it

Sokolq55

Reaction score
perhaps the Grohe Twin Ell is what you're thinking of?

Hi Terry,

This was in fact about a Grohe product, but there is no twin ell as this was not for a diverter spout. I've posted this picture before. I've circled what I'm referring to. This picture is from an official Grohe product show, so I assumed maybe there was a specific reason for this being plumbed that way. But I do not see anything in any of their installation instructions about that. It might just not mean anything - someone had some extra elbows to use up, lol.

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 10.31.21 AM.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
This was in fact about a Grohe product, but there is no twin ell as this was not for a diverter spout. I've posted this picture before. I've circled what I'm referring to.
That might make the spout on the display better able to mechanically overcome a downward bending of the spout.

It could also be that the Feng Shui expert thought it had better water feature characteristics.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks