Boiler Intermittently not firing up on call for Heat

Users who are viewing this thread

ClFrank13

Reaction score
I have a Slantfin Sentinel SE 140 (gas boiler) with a Honeywell L8148E 1273 aquastat that I had no issues with sine installed 15 year ago.

My system has 2 zones, in one of my heating zones when there is a call for heat it intermittently fails to fire up the boiler - if that zone does fail, the zone valve opens but the boiler wont fire up unless I do a power cycle to the boiler or lower the temperature on the thermostat below the set point and then raise it back up. This only happens in that one zone - the two zones share the same circulator pump and the circulator pump won't kick on either if that zone fails (unless the other zone id cal;ling for heat).

After doing some research, I understand this specific aquastat is very flaky - and figured I start by replacing that but since it only happens in the one zone intermittently, I am curious if anyone has suggestions on what else to look for. I verified it s not the thermostat because I switched the stats to the two zones and the problem stays with the same zone.

Thanks in advance

Cliff

Fitter30

Reaction score
Honeywell aquastat looks like it has a open relay. If the relay is pulled in should make boiler contacts to start boiler. Having to turn thermostat down and then back up boiler seems to have a signal but has failed to lite and locked itself out. Does your your boiler have a ignition module? Take a pic of the wiring diagram and module if it has one.

ClFrank13

Reaction score
Honeywell aquastat looks like it has a open relay. If the relay is pulled in should make boiler contacts to start boiler. Having to turn thermostat down and then back up boiler seems to have a signal but has failed to lite and locked itself out. Does your your boiler have a ignition module? Take a pic of the wiring diagram and module if it has one.

Thanks for the response. It has a standing pilot - no ignition module.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Screenshot_2021-01-30-15-07-39.png Flue damper open thermostat is calling check roll out and vent switches. Meter gas valve th terminal check both safeties for 24 volts

ClFrank13

Reaction score
If you don't want to replace zone valve just wire in a relay powered by valve.

Thanks for all your responses... it must have been a faulty connection of the zone valve wasn't triggering the end switch - after removing and re-tightening all the wire nuts last week, its been working fine... Thanks again!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks