Bathtub Drain Obstruction

Users who are viewing this thread

Matt A

Reaction score
Hey guys absolutely love the Forum lots of help over the years! I've got a tub clogged at one of my rental properties built in the mid-60s copper P-trap but the type of pipe is unknown as it is under the slab. Anyway it's about 90% clogged. I tried a conventional snake and I can get it down about 5.5 feet and then I hit an obstruction. I did pull up two good-sized hairballs but now it is a solid obstruction. I took a grinder and sharpened the tip of the snake to a pinpoint with the hopes that it might grab whatever it is whether it be a ping pong ball or a tree root but I'm not getting anything. Unfortunately these renters removed the screen so there's no telling what has gone down this drain. I did order a pressure washer type sewer jet system but in the meantime I'm open for any ideas. Thanks in advance.

Reach4

Reaction score
I did order a pressure washer type sewer jet system but in the meantime I'm open for any ideas.
Let us know how that comes out. Electric low-flow pressure washer, or gas high-gpm? ClogHog?

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Normally a jetter is used for soft stoppages. You may want to try using a different head on the snake Try the AH one or something like it rather than a retriever

upload_2021-1-20_16-16-12.jpeg

Matt A

Reaction score
Awesome I will report back on Friday. And by the way I will be using a 3500 PSI gas pressure washer. I'll try to Source an arrowhead type tip locally or maybe eBay excetera.

Matt A

Reaction score
Hey guys this forum is awesome! After a year of messing with this clogged drain it is finally fixed and fixed for good. So like you said, the pressure washer blaster did not work at all and my hobby grade cheap snake from home depot didn't work either. I purchased a professional grade 5/16th reinforced cable electric snake with assorted heads and used the arrowhead as suggested. It worked perfectly! Initially I could not get the snake routed through the P trap on the tub so I cut the arrow head down with a grinder to half its original size. Thanks again and now I own an awesome commercial grade snake for the future.

Reach4

Reaction score
Congratulations on your success.
Thanks again and now I own an awesome commercial grade snake for the future.
Be careful. Injuries can happen with the big stuff.

Matt A

Reaction score
Yes....You are correct!....I could easily see loosing a finger or two or breaking a wrist on a spinning drum!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks