Boiler Sound help ( sound link given)

Users who are viewing this thread

leofox

Reaction score
I am unable to find the root cause of the screeching sound link below to listen) that the boiler makes when running which then can be heard from the baseboard of many rooms. I suspect its the kittling sound issue but wanted to confirm. The sound from the link below is taken when the boiler is about to shut down which made it easier to capture as other noises were quiet at that time.

Any idea what is causing this sound. This issue appeared when the zone valve faltered and had to be replaced. Also the controller was adjusted to not over heat the water above 175. Still the issue persists

Sound link : https://soundcloud.com/user-172114062/boiler
Oil Boiler: Weil McLain Gold. Around 20+ years old

Last edited:

Fitter30

Reaction score
Hot water i presume? Sound like a cracked or leaking section thats leaking in the fire box not seeing any water its getting evaporated. After boiler shuts off look inside the fire box for water. Valve makeup water off keep a very close eye on the water pressure it will drop over a day or two if you don't see water.

Reaction score
Is there more than one zone? if so does it make the sound on all zones?
I listened to the audio and not sure what I should be listening for. But i'm not a pro or expert. To me it sounds very similar to my gas fired boiler once it's running.

I have noise radiating from baseboards and it took me a while to figure it out (4 years since it was intermittent and only used in the heating months) . I thought it was kettling but I don't think it was or if it was that was masked by the actual issues. I have three Taco 007 and have since replaced two of them (i should replace the last one, but it seems to be working fine and it the zone that is used the least). One the impeller was hard to turn, but freed up after messing with it (replaced it anyway), another the bearing were shot and the impeller was wobbling around (the real reason of the noise i was hearing). But the noises I was hearing are not present in you audio file or are at a really low volume.

If your circulators are easily accessible, you know how to bleed the air out of you system and you feel like checking out the circulators, it might be an option. Get new gasket/seals before taking anything apart, most like you will not be able to use the existing ones again.

Does this happen when the circulator is running and the boiler is firing? what temp and press is the boiler running at? Does the sound change if more than one zone is calling for heat? Does it only happen on a certain zone?

leofox

Reaction score
Is there more than one zone? if so does it make the sound on all zones?
I listened to the audio and not sure what I should be listening for. But i'm not a pro or expert. To me it sounds very similar to my gas fired boiler once it's running.

I have noise radiating from baseboards and it took me a while to figure it out (4 years since it was intermittent and only used in the heating months) . I thought it was kettling but I don't think it was or if it was that was masked by the actual issues. I have three Taco 007 and have since replaced two of them (i should replace the last one, but it seems to be working fine and it the zone that is used the least). One the impeller was hard to turn, but freed up after messing with it (replaced it anyway), another the bearing were shot and the impeller was wobbling around (the real reason of the noise i was hearing). But the noises I was hearing are not present in you audio file or are at a really low volume.

If your circulators are easily accessible, you know how to bleed the air out of you system and you feel like checking out the circulators, it might be an option. Get new gasket/seals before taking anything apart, most like you will not be able to use the existing ones again.

Does this happen when the circulator is running and the boiler is firing? what temp and press is the boiler running at? Does the sound change if more than one zone is calling for heat? Does it only happen on a certain zone?

I have three zone. I do hear it in multiple rooms in the house. However now the noise has gone automatically . Attached pics of the boiler when I removed the top

Attachments

• boiler3.jpg
    boiler3.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 157
  • boiler2.jpg
    boiler2.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 161

leofox

Reaction score
Hot water i presume? Sound like a cracked or leaking section thats leaking in the fire box not seeing any water its getting evaporated. After boiler shuts off look inside the fire box for water. Valve makeup water off keep a very close eye on the water pressure it will drop over a day or two if you don't see water.
Attached is the pic of the boiler. Does it need replacement?. Thank you again for your help

Attachments

• boiler1.jpg
    boiler1.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 145
  • boiler2.jpg
    boiler2.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 158

Fitter30

Reaction score
Needs to be replaced parts are probably unavailable and labor to see where its leaking and taking it apart cost prohibited. Could since you have the top pulled run the fill pressure to 25 lbs should see where its leaking. What water temperature were you running? Over the years have you noticed if it used alot of make up water because oxygen from fresh water is a killer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks