Plumbing layout. Pass or Fail?

Users who are viewing this thread

Michael19

Reaction score
Hello,
1st time posting here...
Just installed new drain system in my property. In the picture I attached I tried to explain what you are looking at. The kitchen sink drain has its own vent that runs through the roof. The 2" vent is basically what vents everything else. My question: From the picture does everything look ok with the drain system to pass a plumbing inspection? If not, please explain what doesn't and why.
I appreciate your time.
Thank You

Attachments

• C Plumbing.jpg
    C Plumbing.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 192

Stuff

Reaction score
The 2" vent above the rim is horizontal. Vents need to be vertical (max 45º).
Kitchen sink can not provide a wet vent for the shower.

Michael19

Reaction score
It rises above the fitting about 10" then takes a 90 about 6 inches to the rim joist then another 90 to the roof. This is not legal?

Michael19

Reaction score
Oh and for the shower, since the trap is within 8' of the 2" vent, isn't this ok to vent the shower?

Stuff

Reaction score
It rises above the fitting about 10" then takes a 90 about 6 inches to the rim joist then another 90 to the roof. This is not legal?
Has to be above flood level of the fixtures served. Idea is if the drain is clogged waste could sit in the horizontal piece even after things drained.

Stuff

Reaction score
Oh and for the shower, since the trap is within 8' of the 2" vent, isn't this ok to vent the shower?
Yes, you can route the shower to the vent on the left. Need to tie in above the toilet connection. Then the toilet becomes wet vented.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't see a trap or vent for shower?
The toilet has a vent behind it ? or is it the far left that says 2 inch vent? If the latter then take those horizontal section out and use 2 45s to insure a pass . inspectors allow that type venting sometimes but generally frowned upon and a common write up

Michael19

Reaction score
I dont see a trap or vent for shower?
The toilet has a vent behind it ? or is it the far left that says 2 inch vent? If the latter then take those horrizontal section out and use 2 45s to insure a pass . inspectors allow that type venting sometimes but generaly frowned upon and a common write up
I did use the 2" for the vent and I am going to change the setup for what you just pointed out. I'll post pictures when I finish.
Thank you.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
You have a number of issues, and you should have a plan to sort them all out before you make any changes.

One basic issue that I'm not sure if you're aware of of is that for a separately trapped fixture like the shower or a sink, the drain between the trap and the vent takeoff (the trap arm) has to be horizontal, is limited in length, and can't fall more than one pipe diameter. Also, you need to vent each fixture drain before combining drains (or, in the case of wet venting, as you combine drains).

1) WC--once you fix the horizontal 2" vent in the floor joist area (replace two 90s with two 45s), this is properly vented.

2) Lavatory--is the lavatory trap properly vented per the above description? If so, there should be a 1-1/2" vent taken off a san-tee (most likely) in the bathroom above. Your drain routing is fine, although it may be useful to use the lav drain to wet vent the shower, which would require rerouting the lav drain. [And if you end up changing the lav drain, using a single 45 to hit the stack wye would be more elegant than the LT90 and the combo.]

3) Shower--is there a trap between the joists that is hidden? If so, does it have a vent takeoff?

If not, the easiest way to vent the shower would be to lower its trap to below the floor joists, and to make use of the WC or lav vent via wet venting. To do that, the shower drain needs to stay separate from other drains until it joins the lavatory drain via a flat wye (horizontal wet venting), or until it hits the 2" vertical WC vent via a san-tee (vertical wet venting). With a 2" drain, at a perfect slope of 1/4" per foot, the shower trap arm can be up to 8' long.

4) Kitchen sink--you can't combine the drain with an unvented drain. So it is going to have to travel to the 3" stack on its own (unless you choose to individually dry vent the shower drain with in the joist system.) If you remove the combo where the shower drain comes in, you can leave the reast of the kitchen sink rain piping. Except that the vertical jog would be better done with two 45s, rather than two 90s.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Don't know how you are seeing some of this Wayne? There's no kitchen sink in this picture it must be coming off some where else. and shower looks incomplete unless he has a santee and trap we cant see ? or something else but its either hidden and unknown as far as code or incomplete

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
The kitchen sink drain is labeled on the right of the picture, and the narrative says it is separately vented. As for the shower, I agree, that's why I was asking for clarification.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Got it Wayne it was off my screen just an an 1 1/2 line line going off the page

Michael19

Reaction score
You have a number of issues, and you should have a plan to sort them all out before you make any changes.

One basic issue that I'm not sure if you're aware of of is that for a separately trapped fixture like the shower or a sink, the drain between the trap and the vent takeoff (the trap arm) has to be horizontal, is limited in length, and can't fall more than one pipe diameter. Also, you need to vent each fixture drain before combining drains (or, in the case of wet venting, as you combine drains).

1) WC--once you fix the horizontal 2" vent in the floor joist area (replace two 90s with two 45s), this is properly vented.

2) Lavatory--is the lavatory trap properly vented per the above description? If so, there should be a 1-1/2" vent taken off a san-tee (most likely) in the bathroom above. Your drain routing is fine, although it may be useful to use the lav drain to wet vent the shower, which would require rerouting the lav drain. [And if you end up changing the lav drain, using a single 45 to hit the stack wye would be more elegant than the LT90 and the combo.]

3) Shower--is there a trap between the joists that is hidden? If so, does it have a vent takeoff?

If not, the easiest way to vent the shower would be to lower its trap to below the floor joists, and to make use of the WC or lav vent via wet venting. To do that, the shower drain needs to stay separate from other drains until it joins the lavatory drain via a flat wye (horizontal wet venting), or until it hits the 2" vertical WC vent via a san-tee (vertical wet venting). With a 2" drain, at a perfect slope of 1/4" per foot, the shower trap arm can be up to 8' long.

4) Kitchen sink--you can't combine the drain with an unvented drain. So it is going to have to travel to the 3" stack on its own (unless you choose to individually dry vent the shower drain with in the joist system.) If you remove the combo where the shower drain comes in, you can leave the reast of the kitchen sink rain piping. Except that the vertical jog would be better done with two 45s, rather than two 90s.

Cheers, Wayne
Wayne,
Thanks for all the suggestions! I actually re routed most of the plumbing. I used a hole saw to connect the shower to the lav. drain. The lav. drain is vented through the roof. I also switched out the 90's you pointed out and installed 2 - 45s.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Wayne,
Thanks for all the suggestions! I actually re routed most of the plumbing. I used a hole saw to connect the shower to the lav. drain. The lav. drain is vented through the roof. I also switched out the 90's you pointed out and installed 2 - 45s.
lets see the pictures how it wound up finaly done

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks