• IMG_0039.JPG
    IMG_0039.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 485
  • IMG_0041.JPG
    IMG_0041.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 831

Reach4

Reaction score
The pictures I have seen have the plastic insert up.

The plastic is often color coded with blue for cold.
rheem-protech-water-heater-nipples.jpg

131524.jpg

Your piece has stuff down the middle, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Yes I would agree the pre teflon taped side goes into the Wh and the bare threads connect to the water heater hose which usually has a rubber gasket. However in the image you attached Reach, you can see there is an arrow. Imagine if there was no arrow and no color coding.
Rheem listed this part as AP12992. However it comes without any directional info. Could it be possible that a heat trap can work on either side? Bi directional? I can blow through either side, it does seem though that one end has less restriction than the other but that is my first impression? Maybe these can flow either way, they don't have an arrow or color code and maybe that is on purpose? Is it possible these can work in either direction? Trying to get ahold of Rheem to ask.

Reach4

Reaction score
However it comes without any directional info. Could it be possible that a heat trap can work on either side? Bi directional? I can blow through either side, it does seem though that one end has less restriction than the other but that is my first impression?
Maybe submerge the unit into water, and try. Or maybe point the bottom to the ceiling, and see if that change things.

I don't think a heat trap can work both ways. Some have a floating ball.

Reaction score
I spoke to Rheem after being on hold for 90 minutes. If anyone finds this post years from now here is what I have tracked down.
Rheem Heat trap nipples, AP12992-3 these are not anything like a check valve as others have implied.
There is only one nipple that is an OEM replacement. They do not have a specific direction they flow in, no clor code or arrow, so the one unit they sell is suppose to be used on the hot or cold water side contrary to what I have seen from other manufactures and older Rheem replacement parts. (aka the ball valve / check valve scenario)
They said go ahead and use this unit on either side, the water should flow bi directionally and there is not one direction the water is suppose to flow.
I am not really sure now what the point of these are if they are bi directional, and at this point I am fine with just using a brass nipple but I will use this $6 part for now and see if I experience any flow restriction. Just FYI, this was confusing and the Folks at Rheem even questioned this parts performance. So there you have it, a heat trap nipple that is not specific to direction, no color code, no flow direction has a flap on either side. You can install this on either the hot water side going up or the cold water side going down. One part is suppose to work on either side.

Reach4

Reaction score
There is only one nipple that is an OEM replacement. They do not have a specific direction they flow in, no clor code or arrow, so the one unit they sell is suppose to be used on the hot or cold water side contrary to what I have seen from other manufactures and older Rheem replacement parts. (aka the ball valve / check valve scenario)
They said go ahead and use this unit on either side, the water should flow bi directionally and there is not one direction the water is suppose to flow.
Your piece has stuff down the middle, right?
If you had answered no, then you could have saved time on the phone.

Reaction score
Flaps, floats, rubber gaskets, o-ring...aka stuff. Here is a photo of one side.
Usually these are directional, cold has one direction hot has another direction. Not on these traps from Rheem. No cold, no hot, no color code, no arrow. Interesting, you ever see anything like that before? Heat "Trap" that allows flow in both directions regardless of installing in the hot position or cold position. Bi directional. One part number fits both sides.

Attachments

• IMG_0045.JPG
    IMG_0045.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 545

Reach4

Reaction score
I think that is a dielectric nipple, presuming the dark in the middle is the tabletop.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks