What is your preferred sink p-trap?

Users who are viewing this thread

Temp945

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm installing two new sinks. I ran new PVC pipe to both sink locations.

Now I'm deciding on which p-traps to install and am surprised at the wide variety that exist.

I know I could just pick one and it would be fine - but I'm curious what those with experience prefer.

Chromed brass vs. PVC? Cleanout vs. no cleanout? Compression fitting vs. glued fitting? School me!

Thanks for reading!

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
If it is exposed I like a 17ga chrome tubular trap w/ brass nuts connected to a trap adapter at the wall, often it requires a deep flange to hide the adapter. 20ga traps are almost acceptable, 22ga are not. If you can't see it, a plastic tubular trap to a trap adapter is best. The heavier plastic glue traps have less tolerance, are harder to install and replace and have no real upside. If you need to run a snake and can't do it without pulling the trap it is much easier with a chrome or plastic tubular trap.

p-trap_with_adapter.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Chromed brass vs. PVC? Cleanout vs. no cleanout? Compression fitting vs. glued fitting? School me!
In a cabinet? Polypropylene (usually white plastic, but sometimes black). Slip -- not glued. Trap adapter at the wall. Functional. Easy to clean or re-position. I am not a pro.

No cleanout.

p-trap-parts-terrylove-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Temp945

Reaction score
Well I'm glad I asked! My traps are going behind drawers in a cabinet and will not be visible.

I was considering either a sch-40 glued trap or a 17ga chrome with cleanout, just because these seemed like the most "deluxe" options.

I'm surprised to hear that you both prefer a regular plastic (polypropylene) trap, but your rationale does make sense.

I'm guessing just a cheapie polypropylene trap, like the one linked below is what you suggest?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Keeney-1-1-4-in-Plastic-P-Trap/1071571

PS: Reach - you are so much more of a pro than any of the local "pros" I have dealt with!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think the sch40 plastic glue traps w threaded union no cleanout. are better, more rugged perhaps hold up better against all the junk people pile up under sinks.
When I first started plumbing that was the only traps I used at the company I worked for . I seldom use them anymore , nobody seems to care its quicker going tubular, not that big a deal, but no question in my mind tubular cheaper and easier and a step below in quality but good enough.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
As often as I'm pulling traps to get hair out of them, I prefer tubular. I've never understood why someone would glue a trap on a kitchen waste either. It makes more work for a plumber I guess, but then I'm a plumber and I don't want to bother with the extra work on my home every time I pull a trap.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks