How to disassemble this bathroom sink drain pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dato Da

Reaction score
Hi,

I'd like to unclog one of my bathroom sinks at the drain pipe. Alas, the drain pipe assembly for this sink looks different from the other ones in that it has only one screw-like thing (please see attached photo) and I don't see how I could easily take apart the P portion, clear it, and put it back. Could the experts here please give me some pointers/videos that I could follow to disassemble it? Thanks!

p.s. I notice that there's a small cap at the bottom of the P that seems to be screwed-on. Is it possible to open that up and unclog from there?

IMG_0940.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The cap below unthreads and they may work for you.

I normally use a trap that connects at the wall with a trap adapter so I can easily remove and clean it.
Some plumbers like the future service call by installing a glued up trap like the one you have.
A glued up trap gets cut out and replaced.

p-trap_with_adapter.jpg

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
The cleanout plug is on the bottom of the trap USE caution when removing and reinstalling it . Be careful when snaking the line

Dato Da

Reaction score
Thanks a lot, Terry, for the explanation! Is there a special name for the P portion with the small screwed-on cap/hole? I'd like to find out more about it before I open it up lest I screw it up. Thanks again!

Dato Da

Reaction score
The cleanout plug is on the bottom of the trap USE caution when removing and reinstalling it . Be careful when snaking the line
Thanks for the warning, Sylvan. I will check if there's any youtube video on handling this type of cleanout plug.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks