Water Hammer - Hot Water all faucets

Users who are viewing this thread

Ryan87500

Reaction score
I have been in my current house for about 4 years and this issue just started. It seems when I turn off the hot water in just about every faucet I get a real bad water hammer noise. I checked the PSI at one of the sinks and they are at 60-65.

I did try turning the water off and draining the entire system which seemed to help for a day but then back to hammer time.

I wasn't sure where to even start since I can't pin point one sink and it seems to be just on the hot water side.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Buy a shock absorber and place it by the heater.

Also, make sure all the piping is secured properly or make your own air chamber

Sarg

Enjoy Learning
Reaction score
"Try leaving all faucets on for at least two hours with the water shut off."
What will this do ?

Reach4

Reaction score
I have been in my current house for about 4 years and this issue just started. It seems when I turn off the hot water in just about every faucet I get a real bad water hammer noise.
When you turn off the faucet slowly at the end, does the bang happen then?

I understand that you cannot control the start and stopping of water for the dishwasher or clothes washer.

"Try leaving all faucets on for at least two hours with the water shut off."
What will this do ?
It will let the old-time shock arresters empty better.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If you completely drain the system, some of the air might recharge the old-style open hammer stops but only if the stops drain.

Reach4

Reaction score
IT WILL WASTE Gallons of water and accomplish NOTHING
Water is shut off. So probably under 3 gallons wasted, unless the WH siphons. Closing the WH supply valve would prevent that if the dip tube does not have the intentional little hole to prevent siphoning.

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Hot water only? What type of water heater do you have? Is it hot water from a boiler or a separate WH? You can try this type of arrester at the washing machine to see of it helps.

https://www.acehardware.com/departm...VELtIssBo8X22Ks8LpxoC8AEQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

upload_2021-1-1_21-14-40.jpeg

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Water is shut off. So probably under 3 gallons wasted, unless the WH siphons. Closing the WH supply valve would prevent that if the dip tube does not have the intentional little hole to prevent siphoning.

My home has 5 bathrooms serviced by an 11/2" main 11 rooms over 10 so how can you guess sight unseen how it is only 3 gallons or less??

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks