Toilet flange chipping away

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnDIY

Reaction score
Every video I’ve seen of people removing a PVC toilet flange has been easy, mine has not been. I have an inside flange. It’s taken several hours, a piece at a time to remove.
While removing the sleeve of the old flange, I’ve chipped away and delaminated bits and pieces of the waste line. My question is this, should I be worried about these missing chips and pieces preventing a good glue seal when I install the new flange ? Is this a scenario where you use a flange with the rubber gasket ? Or is the PVC glue going to fill in all the chips and voids, and then the seal will be good to go ?
Thanks.

JohnDIY

Reaction score

Attachments

• B95657E2-0B35-4D4F-A3B7-782F66037458.jpeg
    B95657E2-0B35-4D4F-A3B7-782F66037458.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 208

JohnDIY

Reaction score
Here’s a photo, I’ll snap another one here as soon as I can. This is only part of the sleeve removed, I’ve removed more since the photo, but didn’t get a picture yet. But basically it has the same chipping all the way around.

Reach4

Reaction score
1. What is the ID or OD of that pipe?
2. How far down does that pipe go before the bend starts? It looks like it is starting to bend maybe an inch below the rough area.
3. What is under that subfloor? I am wondering if you could cut enough of that subfloor away to clear an outside closet flange.

JohnDIY

Reaction score
1. What is the ID or OD of that pipe?
2. How far down does that pipe go before the bend starts? It looks like it is starting to bend maybe an inch below the rough area.
3. What is under that subfloor? I am wondering if you could cut enough of that subfloor away to clear an outside closet flange.

JohnDIY

Reaction score
The inner diameter is 4”
The curve in the elbow is also 4”
And it’s a 2nd floor bathroom, so it’s plywood

I never thought of the outside mounting flange.
I just remember reading somewhere that inside is the way to do it, like piecing togethers gutters.
So outside I think could work.
I just went to store and bought flange with the rubber gasket just to try it out, to see it it works.
I’m still hoping I could glue the inside flange, just trying to get a feel it that’s a good idea or pass on it.

Reach4

Reaction score
Was that Sioux Chief 887-GPM?
887-gpm-2.jpg
Good choice if the gasket will hit at an elevation where things are smooth.

Genova Products 75158S Universal Closet Flange with Stainless Steel Ring, 4"
Similar to pushtite but bigger gasket.

There are also various outside compression closet flanges. Like Push-tite, no glue. So easy do-over. https://www.homedepot.com/p/JONES-S...-Closet-Flange-with-Test-Cap-C40425/313740740 is one.

JohnDIY

Reaction score
It was an OATEY, Lowe’s doesn’t have the Sioux Chief stuff.
Since I can’t remove some of the PVC, it’s just not coming off, I’m thinking maybe the outside flange is the right move.
I’m actually in the parking lot of the store, went back for the outside flange just to see how that might work.
No video ever showed the PVC Sleeve of the flange bonding to the waste line the way I’m experiencing, it was just snap and you’re done. That is just not my experience.
If I had to do again I’d buy that PVC reamer. I own two of them, but not the correct size, they work great, just thought I could get away with this method. I don’t recommend doing the cut grooves and snap off method, because once you start down this road you can’t go back to the reamer.

Reach4

Reaction score

JohnDIY

Reaction score
Thank you very much for these ideas.
I’ve got a lot more options than I did last night.
Thank you for your response and suggestions.

JohnDIY

Reaction score
https://www.oatey.com/products/oatey-twistnset-replacement-closet-flange-1098867162?upc=038753436517
Inside compression. No glue. Unfortunately it has a pvc ring, but since it is not glued, in the unlikely case that it breaks, you can pull it out, and install a new one.

https://www.oatey.com/products/oatey-cast-iron-closet-flange-279105324?filter= shows Oatey's outside compression closet flanges. Similar to the Code Blue flanges. No glue. Strong. Easy do-over if you ever need it.

JohnDIY

Reaction score
I also like your comment where you said if it doesn’t work, just pull it out. You’re exactly right, that’s an easy fix to try with no downside.

JohnDIY

Reaction score
Terry, I’d just like to say that I’ve used your forum several times, but just signed up for the first time yesterday, super helpful.
I want to thank you and Reach4 for your responses even on this holiday, I’m really surprised at the timing, and especially the moderator, (you) responding. Happy New Year to all. Your posts and responses have been extremely helpful.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks