Oval toilet flange impossible to seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Syncman

Reaction score
Problem is tree roots in sewer line. $4000-00 repair quote as its 20' down. bit rich for my blood. However there is an inspection access 10 feet away and its easily cleared with the 40' snake I have. Issue is toilet with oval flange is almost impossible to seal with wax. Even after I cobbled 2 rings together. So, the first sign of a backup is water leaking from under toilet [lowest point]. and flooding basement if no-one is there. At the same time it backs up into a bathtub, a much more convenient indicator of a blockage.:) Any ideas? I do like the "Better than wax" rings if there is something suitable. I install hardwood floors and they are dabomb. Lucky for me the basement is LVP flooring.

https://www.plumbersstock.com/xpvccfm34-3in-x-4-pvc-offset-closet-flange.html

Reach4

Reaction score
Problem is tree roots in sewer line. $4000-00 repair quote as its 20' down. bit rich for my blood. However there is an inspection access 10 feet away and its easily cleared with the 40' snake I have.
Some things are worth borrowing money for. That is one of them. A new car is not.

I have. Issue is toilet with oval flange is almost impossible to seal with wax. Even after I cobbled 2 rings together.
I would consider Danco Hydroseat. Also, stop using a plunger for a sewer blockage. That blows the wax out.

You could rig an alarm into that outdoor inspection access to detect rising water level before the liquid rises to floor level. At that alarm, you would stop using water until you clear the path.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
$4k to repair would be a bargain in Seattle.. like too good. But.. 20ft is no joke to dig down to. That requires some serious shoring.

How often does the blockage occur? How hard is it to clear? I generally advise that any blockage that occurs more than once a year needs repair. Anything over that interval and you're willing to put up with is maintenance. And If you're going to do it as maintenance, then it should just get scheduled to be done every year regardless of whether a backup occurs.

Can you access the closet flange in the basement or is that slab on grade?

This Sioux Chief offset flange looks like it would be a better and permanent fix to the wax problem.

Reach4

Reaction score
This Sioux Chief offset flange looks like it would be a better and permanent fix to the wax problem.
Superior flange, but I am thinking that blowing out the wax is not caused by the flange. Instead, I envision the problem is vigorous plunging into soil pipe filled with water. Pressures could get very high, and blow out the wax.

When syncman is thinking of using the plunger, he should first go look into his cleanout to see if the water has risen.

Syncman

Reaction score
Never use plunger. I just cant get a good seal. The blockage is about 1-2 times a year. Real easy to clear. Its about 8' down and 8' out, and about 12" outside the foundation. Thats where the very last IE is located, and empty of water. A snake down the second last IE clears real easy. If I could get a good seal, it would back up into the bathtub next to toilet, instead of basement floor, which is tiled with 18x18 tiles. Replacing the flange is not going to be easy. I can deal with an occasional blockage. Link to post from 6 years back. Pic is missing tho.This pic is where I snake the blockage in Garage, about 12" above level of toilet flange.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/oval-offset-flange.57863/#post-427016

Attachments

• IMG_2495.jpg
    IMG_2495.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 205

Reach4

Reaction score
Thats where the very last IE is located, and empty of water. A snake down the second last IE clears real easy.
1. What is an IE?

2. When you pull the toilet, how does the wax look? How thick is the wax after it was compressed and you pull the toilet?

3. Do you use shims on your toilet install? The main purpose is to prevent rocking. Rocking is an enemy of wax. Shims have to be placed the right way.

Syncman

Reaction score
Sorry. IE i believe is Inspection Elbow. It must be a South African thing. Came to be used with every inspection access point. Clenout?

Wax was built up of 2 rings. It does compress, and toilet is grouted under, so no shims or rocking. The back portion of the flange is only about 1/4" wide, and i am sure that is where the leak is occurring.

Attachments

• IMG_2502.PNG
    IMG_2502.PNG
    142.4 KB · Views: 185

Reach4

Reaction score
Wax was built up of 2 rings. It does compress, and toilet is grouted under, so no shims or rocking. The back portion of the flange is only about 1/4" wide, and i am sure that is where the leak is occurring.
When you place wax, you can mold it to the shape you like. If two rings does not give enough wax, use 3 rings or extra-thick rings. When Terry uses 2 rings, he makes the upper one one with a horn, and the lower one pure wax. Your situation where the path is going to jog may not work with the horn, but you could think about it.

Perhaps something like Next by Danco (Perfect Seal) could add some reinforcement for you. but that is intended for a round flange.
next-by-danco-toilet-wax-rings-10718x-64_145.jpg

When you lift the grouted toilet, is there a form-fitting concave place in the grout to bring the toilet back into?
Never use plunger.
I think you are saying that you never use a plunger, so there should be no pressure to blow out the wax seal.

The next time you pull your toilet, how about a top view photo?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks