Black particles in bath hot water only

Users who are viewing this thread

AlexWilliams

Reaction score
Rub your finger over one of them. If it leaves a black "trail", then it is magnesium sulfide caused the a reaction with the heater's anode rod. IF this is the case, ALL of the faucets have the problem, it is just not severe enough, yet, for you to see them.
Thanks for clarifying this. I have the same problem I didn't know why

Rich Hoon

Reaction score
We had several new construction homes in our City recently report this and it turns out it was the SharkBite connectors breaking down....

JerryR

Reaction score
We had several new construction homes in our City recently report this and it turns out it was the SharkBite connectors breaking down....

If it’s the o-rings in the SharkBite connectors breaking down that’s scary. I could see an expensive class action case brewing.

If it’s the rubber lining of braided stainless steel hose breaking down I would understand.

Pchaps

Reaction score
We had that. Only in kitchen. It was old deterioring rubber in compression hose. Another test is do this: take a glass of water from that faucet etc. let it stand overnight. Don’t drink it but the next morning take a sip (then spit it out). If it tastes plastic or rubber, it’s hoses. By the way, hot water leads to heater but also rubber washers and hose lining deteriorate faster on the hot water side! And he could not see that in inspection unless he disconnect the hoses and looks and the rubber and the line. If hoses, Home Depot has decent ones but you must get the correct connectors on the end. Shut off you water supply before disconnecting …to state the obvious. Watch Brasscraft video for tighten procedure. Remember that. Happy hunting.

pogobuppa

Reaction score
Also frequent gasket replacement? My faucet was chewing up gaskets due to valve seat deterioration. A lot of loving attention (and new gaskets) went into this hot water valve learning. Probably too much over torquing also.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks