Does a Maxitrol 325-3 Regulator step the natural gas pressure down to 1/2 PSI?

Users who are viewing this thread

Studly

Reaction score
In my home, I have a main natural gas line coming in at 2 PSI, and then a branch goes to a Maxitrol 325-3 regulator, which then goes to the gas lines feeding my furnace, water heater and dryer. I assume that regulator steps the pressure down to 1/2 PSI? Is that correct and isn't that what those appliances require? I don't see any other regulators between that one and those three appliances.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
In my home, I have a main natural gas line coming in at 2 PSI, and then a branch goes to a Maxitrol 325-3 regulator, which then goes to the gas lines feeding my furnace, water heater and dryer. I assume that regulator steps the pressure down to 1/2 PSI? Is that correct and isn't that what those appliances require? I don't see any other regulators between that one and those three appliances.
7-11" WC which is 1/4psi to almost 1/2psi. Then the gas valve on each unit will drop it to usually 3.5WC

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
They do things differant there generaly we have a regulator where it comes in the house we dont get to run 2 psi withen building . Thats Medium pressure need permission to run that inside

Studly

Reaction score
They do things differant there generaly we have a regulator where it comes in the house we dont get to run 2 psi withen building . Thats Medium pressure need permission to run that inside

A plumber told me the main line is at 2 PSI ... is that common in certain parts of the country? I'm in Minnesota. I've read that many people have 1/2 PSI throughout, like you probably do. That's probably more common, right?

Martin Boring

In the Trades
Reaction score
In my area you are seeing a lot more 2 PSI coming into the house as the gas loads have gone up with demand water heaters and more gas fireplaces. and a Maxitrol stepping it down to run to the different gas appliances. Even a lot of the LP new installs are running 2 PSI into the house and stepping it down inside the house.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ive never seen or heard of a house with that high a pressure here. Im guessing there are exceptions like some mansion or castle but Medium pressure gas is almost impossible to get through a building department for a simple tankless water heater install or a pool heater coming off a line inside the house. If you gotta run a dedicated 2 inch line from meter to a appliance so be it

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks