Water Hammer Mystery

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Today my wife was taking a shower and suddenly we had a massive continuous water hammer in the hot water line. We have never had that before in this house. She told me it stopped when she opened a lav valve to wash something while the shower was running. Any idea where to start investigating? We are on municipal water.

Thanks!

DIY

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What type of valve is there in your shower? If the valves use a conventional washer, the washer may have become loose, and it's vibrating. Some debris in the line can sometimes do that. Some tub spout diverters can make some nasty sounds once their seals start to harden and wear out. Changing the flow by turning on another faucet can affect the flow volume and potentially the dynamic pressure as well, which can change the water velocity enough to stop the effect.

DIYorBust

Reaction score
What type of valve is there in your shower? If the valves use a conventional washer, the washer may have become loose, and it's vibrating. Some debris in the line can sometimes do that. Some tub spout diverters can make some nasty sounds once their seals start to harden and wear out. Changing the flow by turning on another faucet can affect the flow volume and potentially the dynamic pressure as well, which can change the water velocity enough to stop the effect.
Thanks for your reply! This is a 1920 with very old valve stems with washers. I've changed out most of the stems, but with dread, as I like the original tilework and fixtures. Luckily, the old builder did position a closet behind the showers with a partial access panel, so good on them. If it were 50 years ago, I'd honestly try to send the original builder a bottle for that.

I am strongly considering redoing the shower valves with a delta thermostatic when I get some time. The shower looks to me like a retrofit, and the original was likely a tub only. The tilework comes only up to 50 odd inches or so. The area above is painted beadboard and has apparently held up for at least 30 years.

Anyway I'll try pulling that stem, and see if I can't sort this out! Will post back with the result. Thanks.

DIY

Wisciherb

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply! This is a 1920 with very old valve stems with washers. I've changed out most of the stems, but with dread, as I like the original tilework and fixtures. Luckily, the old builder did position a closet behind the showers with a partial access panel, so good on them. If it were 50 years ago, I'd honestly try to send the original builder a bottle for that.

I am strongly considering redoing the shower valves with a delta thermostatic when I get some time. The shower looks to me like a retrofit, and the original was likely a tub only. The tilework comes only up to 50 odd inches or so. The area above is painted beadboard and has apparently held up for at least 30 years.

Anyway I'll try pulling that stem, and see if I can't sort this out! Will post back with the result. Thanks.

DIY
Are you on city water or a private well and pump system?

Wisciherb

Reaction score
I have town water supply. The house was on well supply originally but converted probably 20-30 years ago. How are you thinking this would this affect my issue?
I work on private wells and pumps and when the pressure tank gets waterlogged it causes the pump to cycle on and off in rapid succession called "short cycling". With public water it could be a pressure regulator located where your water enters the house or the shower valve itself, with the shower hammer happening listen and you may be able to locate the source. Hope this helps.

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Thanks, it is only one fixture and while the hammer can be heard all the way along the pipe run, I believe the source is the shower. Not certain though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks