Please someone help me with my new CST746 Toto Drake!

Users who are viewing this thread

Nicky1970

Reaction score
So we just purchased 4 new Toto toilets, 3 Drakes and the Promenade II. The CST746 Drake toilets are giving us soooo many problems with leaving debris in the toilet after every single use by every family member. It’s the Drake 2-piece https://www.totousa.com/drake-two-piece-toilet-128-08-gpf-elongated-bowl-universal-height. We’ve only lived in the home two weeks and I’ve had my hand in the toilet more times than I care to admit trying to clean the inside after a child goes number 2. More than just that, in general the inside rim just looks dirty from splashing or whatever hits the inside rim. I’ve never experienced this with any other toilets we’ve had. My husband thought there wasn’t enough water in the tank but when I looked at videos online they look comparable. It seems water just sits pretty low in the bottom of the bowl? And the shape inside the bowl seems odd and causes my kids bowel movement to get stuck and then slide down the bowl as it flushes causing skid marks that remain. I’ve searched the forum and it seems years ago people used Clorox Teflon bathroom cleaner which is no longer made. Please someone tell me there’s something we can do to fix this!!! I’m so grossed out! I was so excited to get my new Totos and now my toilets all look absolutely disgusting.

cst746-terrylove-05.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I understand these don't address your design questions.

Workaround: you might consider something like a Brondell CleanSpa Handheld Bidet as a cleaning aide.

Plus use of a cleaning brush before things have time to harden.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm sorry to hear this. My son Jamie installed one of the new CST746 dual flush toilets in his home for two months. His experience was similar to yours. He wound up removing it and going back to one of our favorites, the CST454 Drake that has the normal amount of water in the bowl, unlike the CST746 which has the very small water spot.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The hassle with any dual flush toilet is that first, there cannot be all that much water in the bowl, since when you flush, you want the whole volume changed. Second, because there's not that much water being used, there's not as much bowl rinsing. It's just plain physics...

Skid marks are as much a function of diet as they are of the toilet design. It's hard to get most children to eat more fiber, but it helps.

Nicky1970

Reaction score
I understand these don't address your design questions.

Workaround: you might consider something like a Brondell CleanSpa Handheld Bidet as a cleaning aide.

Plus use of a cleaning brush before things have time to harden.
Thank you. We are familiar with these as we used to use cloth diapers on our kids and need to rinse them in the toilet after use but I really don’t want to have this hanging next to the toilet now

Nicky1970

Reaction score
The hassle with any dual flush toilet is that first, there cannot be all that much water in the bowl, since when you flush, you want the whole volume changed. Second, because there's not that much water being used, there's not as much bowl rinsing. It's just plain physics...

Skid marks are as much a function of diet as they are of the toilet design. It's hard to get most children to eat more fiber, but it helps.
Thanks but in this case it’s not a diet issue as we don’t have this problem with the Toto promenade or the American standard toilet in the house. It’s a design flaw in this toilet specifically. Can I use the bleach tabs in the tank? I think I recall reading you’re not supposed to use bleach in these toilet types? I’m at a loss as I was so excited to get these toilets

Nicky1970

Reaction score
Does anyone else use the bleach tabs in the tank or any of those cleaning products that sit in the bowl to help with cleaning? Or I read some use the RainX? Anything I can spray in the bowl? Please don’t tell me there’s no solutions to this problem

Reach4

Reaction score
Does anyone else use the bleach tabs in the tank or any of those cleaning products that sit in the bowl to help with cleaning? Or I read some use the RainX? Anything I can spray in the bowl? Please don’t tell me there’s no solutions to this problem
You could try car wax -- maybe NuFinish. I have seen it recommended, but I have not tried it.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have the same toilet and on occasion get some Mr Hanky that wants to stick around for the next flush.. If its under the water, I just let it be and the next flush takes care of that. Above the water line, I do as Reach4 suggested and get it with the brush. I do also have a toto washlet seat that does a pre-mist on the bowl surface which helps with sliding Mr Hanky into the deep end of the pool.

Attachments

• mr-hankey-the-christmas-poo-dale-k-morrow.jpg
    mr-hankey-the-christmas-poo-dale-k-morrow.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 255

Nicky1970

Reaction score
I have the same toilet and on occasion get some Mr Hanky that wants to stick around for the next flush.. If its under the water, I just let it be and the next flush takes care of that. Above the water line, I do as Reach4 suggested and get it with the brush. I do also have a toto washlet seat that does a pre-mist on the bowl surface which helps with sliding Mr Hanky into the deep end of the pool.
Thanks but it’s every single time someone makes a bowel movement. We are a family of 6 so the toilets get a lot of use. I can’t use a brush or let it sit everytime as it would be at least 6 times or more a day. I’ve literally never in my life experienced this. There’s so little water in the bowel and the curves inside make it impossible to ensure my little ones always sit just right to hit the water. I can’t even believe this is an issue I’m dealing with honestly lol

Nicky1970

Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear this. My son Jamie installed one of the new CST746 dual flush toilets in his home for two months. His experience was similar to yours. He wound up removing it and going back to one of our favorites, the CST454 Drake that has the normal amount of water in the bowl, unlike the CST746 which has the very small water spot.
Would these work?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/DuPont-T...nPf359pGUKJF2Xo9kFirXWqA5Ugy851waAjJuEALw_wcB

https://www.grainger.com/mobile/pro...f9PvfDr0Ejai7C9LbVgNqW1IkpnmEqSRoCdasQAvD_BwE

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Those sprays are not allowed for public water supply contamination reasons.
They are Hazardous Materials.
Teflon and silicon molecules persist in the environment.
The Toto Aquia has a better design for dual flush with hardly any complaints of skid marks.
The Toto CST746 is a terrible design failure. Have your plumbing contractor talk to the local sales rep for Toto. See if they will help you reject these failures. We have had a lot of luck with our reps helping.

Nicky1970

Reaction score
Those sprays are not allowed for public water supply contamination reasons.
They are Hazardous Materials.
Teflon and silicon molecules persist in the environment.
The Toto Aquia has a better design for dual flush with hardly any complaints of skid marks.
The Toto CST746 is a terrible design failure. Have your plumbing contractor talk to the local sales rep for Toto. See if they will help you reject these failures. We have had a lot of luck with our reps helping.
I just can’t believe I never saw any of these complaints when I was researching these toilets. Like none. I purchased them through a reputable plumbing company. Are you saying I should call them and complain and see if she can help us return them for another version? I hadn’t thought this was an option. I think the Aquia is a much higher price point if I recall but I’ll consider all options at this point.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you want to call and complain about the toilet. Call Toto directly and let them know. Your replacement will not be a dual flush toilet as you will get the same result.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Nobody knew how these would work until we starting installing them. The video I made for YouTube was the first installation of one that I had installed for a customer. Often I will have some first hand experience, but not always. I did buy one for my son Jamie to try out. We learn a lot that way. Use them for a month or two to see who they work in the real world.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yep.. I have one too. Installed one for the manager of my biggest clients handyman division.. I've had a good experience with mine.. I've even only used the Light flush ever since it was installed with little issue.. but that is only 1 person using that toilet. My handyman client has liked hers. She says that she never has to clean it with a TOTO 350 Washlet installed.. perhaps there's something to that e-water?

Snowlock

Reaction score
Just to add my 2 cents... I bought the same toilet earlier this year. We have the same problem and are finally ripping the thing out. I'm currently looking for the new one, but my experience with the 746 was so bad I feel like I should just avoid Toto this time around.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The CST744EG, CST744SG, CST454CEFG and MS604114CEFG are all really good toilets.
I'm sorry that your first try on TOTO was with their CST746 bowls.

I have sold thousands of their earlier products over and over again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks