A cutting knife was flushed down the toilet.. and disappeared!

Users who are viewing this thread

Mel Kale

Reaction score
Hi!

Renovations have been going on in my bathroom and a cutting knife has been flushed down the toilet by accident.

I tried to use the Cobra Power Plunge-it to make it reappear but nothing happened.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If it's a small knife, perhaps it went through, though most of the time I would guess that it's in the trapway somewhere. Sometimes I have to pull the bowl and run an auger from the bottom, hoping to push things back out the way they came.

auger_01.jpg

Jamie Love with an auger.

auger_02.jpg

Mel Kale

Reaction score
If it's a small knife, perhaps it went through, though most of the time I would guess that it's in the trapway somewhere. Sometimes I have to pull the bowl and run an auger from the bottom, hoping to push things back out the way they came.

auger_01.jpg

Jamie Love with an auger.

auger_02.jpg
Thank you for your reply Terry! The knife is in fact a snap-off knife (regular size yellow ones), so quite big. I will most probably have to remove the toilet indeed. Will I have to change the rubber joint if I remove the toilet?

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Toilets are typically set with a "wax" ring. We use the 'no seep' style, though plumbers have been known to like one style over the other.
There can be issues when removing a toilet and often we want to use a snake as Terry shows, to aid the process.
Also, sometimes we need to install new closet bolts and/or shims to level the toilet.
Not the easiest thing for first timer w/o experience.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
Hopefully the knife is still the bowl trap and didn't get further.

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks