SIDR polyethylene pipe -- something better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mar3232

Reaction score
I did a post in the past and you all helped me identify the pipe from my well to the house which is SIDR PE but one of the reply's said there is now something better? but I forgot to ask what that is?. A pex maybe that can also be run underground? -- thanks

Menards has the SIDR at a good price so that's a concern but certainly I want to use the latest and greatest if possible.

Reach4

Reaction score
Not better IMO, but PEX is easier to connect sometimes. SIDR uses barbs. Very good. Don't use less than 160 psi I would think. ID of PEX is smaller than the same size of SIDR, so 3/4 SIDR is probably big enough for most houses, 1 inch PEX would be probably the minimum size I would run to a house in pex if the well is not far. Most would go bigger, so 1 inch SIDR or 1.25 PEX. If going farther, then SIDR gets to be even more attractive.

When putting SIDR on a barb, soften the pipe by putting the end into boiling water. Then use two worm gear clamps, with the worm gears on opposite sides. In the well itself, you might go to extra-long barbs and use 3 clamps.

Mar3232

Reaction score
If I do use the PE, do you need to put it inside conduit or can you directly bury it below frost level?

Mar3232

Reaction score
plus, it seems I can run an entire length of the PE as it's on a roll? don't want to screw with underground connectors. only need to go 40 feet

Reach4

Reaction score
If I do use the PE, do you need to put it inside conduit or can you directly bury it below frost level?
Direct bury while under the frost line to the pitless. Do sleeve the poly as it goes thru the foundation/basement wall.

When laying poly, do not pull tight. Instead snake it in the trench for thermal expansion/contraction reasons. See https://www.huduser.gov/portal/publications/pex_design_guide.pdf page 77. They are talking about pex, but the same will apply to other piping.

How far are you going? How big will the pump be (GPM)? 7 gpm is usually quite enough for two baths, but if you are going to get a backwashing iron filter, or have other bigger loads, go 10 gpm. A 7 GPM pump often will deliver more like 8. In pumps, bigger does not mean better.

Mar3232

Reaction score
well actually I'm just needing water out to my garage so this isn't coming from the well. going through the basement wall, through a trench then up through the garage slab.

I keep forgetting other question I need to ask -- also want to run drain for a future macerator I may install out there. what sort of pipe should I run for that? that can be buried.

Reach4

Reaction score
plus, it seems I can run an entire length of the PE as it's on a roll? don't want to screw with underground connectors. only need to go 40 feet
Pex and SIDR both usually come on 100 ft rolls as the smallest rolls.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks