Pole Barn Supply Line Sizes

Users who are viewing this thread

Reicherb

Reaction score
I'm running water and gas to a pole barn 150' from my house. My house has 1" water (well) and 1" NG supply lines. I'm trying to determine what size lines and types to run to the barn.

The barn will have a single half bath and a spigot to water our garden (200' from house)
The barn will have a combi boiler that likely will take a 1/2 supply (haven't made a final decision)

I'm inclined to run :
3/4" Polyethylene Pipe directly buried for gas (the yellow stuff)
3/4" water supply line

is 3/4" enough for the water at that distance? Is 1" better? Is PEX ok to bury? is there something better?

Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
Do I use something like this for the water?
I don't think so. You want something rated for at least 150 psi. I am also wondering why they don't specify that it is SIDR (ASTM D2239) pipe that fits standard barbs, but it probably is. Why not specify?

Actually I am not sure 100 is not enough. But if you were to put a check valve in series with your future water softener, feed this pipe with soft water, and the thermal expansion tank on the water heater fails, pressure could rise to 150. Unlikely, but he price premium is not much, and it is only a little harder to handle than 100 psi pipe.

https://www.menards.com/main/plumbi...3210/p-1444431564085-c-8570.htm?tid=-1&ipos=8 does specify SIDR and is rated 160 psi.

Last edited:

Reicherb

Reaction score
Thank you very much.

Do my line sizes make sense? 3/4" good enough for water at that distance?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks