Exploding Water Heaters -- Traps Going Up - IPC IAMPO

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
nspected and approved by AJH under IAMPO. In operation.
The up leg goes up about 3 feet, then gently slopes to the outside.
The pigtail goes down to the tray.
This is now a standard prescriptive design, anyone can use in my region.
Seems to address the concern that water or sediment would be sitting long term on the valve. The coil is interesting. Required, or just what this plumber used? Periodic testing of the T&P valve would need to include making sure that water was making it thru the coil.

I assume there is a threaded joint/ union, hidden by the insulation in the photo, that makes changing the T&P practical.

Reaction score
[QUOTE="Reach4, post: 649769, member: 61511"The coil is interesting. Required, or just what this plumber used? Periodic testing of the T&P valve would need to include making sure that water was making it thru the coil.[/QUOTE]

The coil is part of the requirement.
For drainage, so the pipe is dry.
For heat exchanging, to lower the temperature of any discharge steam.

The code requirement has the pigtail tube crimped slightly at the bottom, but frankly that seems stupid as it will more likely clog.

There's a union.
Someone else pointed out there's also a brass extension tube. That's not part of the design and I will look into why that was placed. The T part of the TPR needs to be in the tank. A short extension tube is unlikely to be fatal, but seems wrong regardless.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
"The code requirement has the pigtail tube crimped slightly at the bottom, but frankly that seems stupid as it will more likely clog."

This is why at least 80% of safety and relief and T&P valves discharge is wrong

504.6 Requirements for Discharge Piping

The discharge piping serving a pressure relief valve, temperature relief valve or combination thereof shall:
  1. Not be directly connected to the drainage system.
  2. Discharge through an air gap located in the same room as the water heater.
  3. Not be smaller than the diameter of the outlet of the valve served and shall discharge full size to the air gap.
  4. Serve a single relief device and shall not connect to piping serving any other relief device or equipment.
  5. Discharge to the floor, to the pan serving the water heater or storage tank, to a waste receptor or to the outdoors.
  6. Discharge in a manner that does not cause personal injury or structural damage.
  7. Discharge to a termination point that is readily observable by the building occupants.
  8. Not be trapped.
  9. Be installed so as to flow by gravity.
  10. Not terminate more than 6 inches (152 mm) above the floor or waste receptor.
  11. Not have a threaded connection at the end of such piping.
  12. Not have valves or tee fittings.
  13. Be constructed of those materials listed in Section 605.4 or materials tested, rated and approved for such use in accordance with ASME A112.4.1.
NOTE: Number 11 When I install a water heater the discharge pipe copper/ black pipe or other I cut the end at an angle more like a 45 DEG reason being there is no possibility of someone placing any restrictions on the end even on small boilers safety or relief valves

Reaction score
Can you cite a written code that describes your installation?
Cheers, Wayne

WATER HEATER INSTALLATION IN A BASEMENT - REQUIREMENTS

Follow these specifications outlined and illustrated below when installing a water heater in a basement:

1. 3/4” tee with 1/8” reducer
2. 1/8” tubing, drip coil with slightly crimped end
3. 3” minimum slab or base
4. 3/4” union within 12”
5. Hot water line (insulated first 5’)
6. Cold water line with shutoff valve (insulated first 5’)
7. Terminate not less than 6” and not more than 24” at exterior
8. Gas supply line with sediment trap, downstream of shutoff valve
9. 3/4” CPVC or copper tubing, 1/4 per foot slope toward termination
10. Seismic straps, listed for size or use 24g straps (50gal: 2 straps, 75gal: 3 straps, 100gal: 4 straps)
11. Vent connector: Single appliance vent with maximum horizontal length 75% of vertical for single wall, 100% for b-vent
12. Expansion tank if required per CPC 608.3

https://www.sanjoseca.gov/home/showdocument?id=26033

Water Heater TPR Going Up Code Legal California.PNG

I know that document from Berkeley California and San Jose California, but not where it originated. Any idea who cooked that up?

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
From a performance point of view, what is your criticism of the solution?

Your experience and expertise would be more appreciated without the pot shots at California.

Cheers, Wayne

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
WATER HEATER INSTALLATION IN A BASEMENT - REQUIREMENTS

Follow these specifications outlined and illustrated below when installing a water heater in a basement:

1. 3/4” tee with 1/8” reducer
2. 1/8” tubing, drip coil with slightly crimped end
3. 3” minimum slab or base
4. 3/4” union within 12”
5. Hot water line (insulated first 5’)
6. Cold water line with shutoff valve (insulated first 5’)
7. Terminate not less than 6” and not more than 24” at exterior
8. Gas supply line with sediment trap, downstream of shutoff valve
9. 3/4” CPVC or copper tubing, 1/4 per foot slope toward termination
10. Seismic straps, listed for size or use 24g straps (50gal: 2 straps, 75gal: 3 straps, 100gal: 4 straps)
11. Vent connector: Single appliance vent with maximum horizontal length 75% of vertical for single wall, 100% for b-vent
12. Expansion tank if required per CPC 608.3

https://www.sanjoseca.gov/home/showdocument?id=26033

I know that document from Berkeley California and San Jose California, but not where it originated. Any idea who cooked that up?

Water Heater TPR Going Up Code Legal California.PNG

13. Provide a Pressure Relief valve operating at 125 PSI that drains to the exterior or to appropriate building drain

One thing I don't understand is why there isn't a requirement to have a separate pressure relief valve operating at lower pressure in the building somewhere that can drain to gravity. That is how we do them in that situation. Seems like that would be completely obvious.

*somehow i managed to leave politics out of my reply*

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks