IPC Shower Dry Vent

Users who are viewing this thread

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hello,

Is the only way to dry vent a shower under the IPC to have the drain line run underneath a wall within the allowable trap arm length, and takeoff the vent under the wall so it can immediately rise vertically to 6" above the shower flood rim?

UPC 905.3 has the language "Unless prohibited by structural conditions, each vent shall rise vertically to a point not less than 6 inches (152 mm) above the flood-level rim of the fixture served before offsetting horizontally". I take that to mean it is OK under the UPC, when not practical to run the shower drain under a wall before hitting the maximum trap arm length, to take off the vent with a wye rolled up, then go horizontal under the floor, proceed to a wall, and turn up into the wall with a long turn 90.

https://up.codes/viewer/california/ca-plumbing-code-2019/chapter/9/vents#905.3

However, the IPC equivalent section is 905.5, which reads in the second sentence "Horizontal vent pipes forming branch vents, relief vents or loop vents shall be located not less than 6 inches (152 mm) above the flood level rim of the highest fixture served." As an individual vent is a branch vent, and this section has no language about structural conditions, does that mean an underfloor dry vent takeoff as previously described is prohibited by the IPC? You'd have to do a wet vent instead?

https://up.codes/viewer/colorado/ipc-2018/chapter/9/vents#905.5

Thanks,
Wayne

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Doesn't matter what anyone says, you'll just argue with them until you win or they give up
If I wasn't interested in others' knowledge, I wouldn't have started a thread. I'm hoping someone can explain how I'm misreading IPC 905.5, or can point to some other language in the IPC that allows a UPC-style underfloor dry-vent takeoff.

When you and I discussed the meaning of "fixture unit discharge into the wet vent" in UPC 908.2.2, I thought I convinced you that the DFUs of the fixture being vented aren't counted. I'm always happy to learn something new, and that discussion helped me understand wet venting better.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks