Zero Waste RO System?

Users who are viewing this thread

RayN

Reaction score
I have a standard RO system with a permeate pump that dumps brine to the kitchen sink drain line. Today I came across a website that showed a Zero Waste design. The schematic is attached and basically has a double-check valve on the brine line and it dumps it in the hot water line.

Does it work? Why are these systems not popular? It shows a booster pump and I am not sure if the inlet pressure to RO membrane is already good (50-60psi) than if it is really required for this zero waste system?

Any thoughts on zero waste? Any pitfalls such as bad for water heater, etc.? Anybody using a similar system?
Diagram_ZeroWaste_System_3_1024x1024.jpg
Ref: https://www.premierh2o.com/products/watts-premier-500029-zerowaste-reverse-osmosis-system

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
A multitude of reasons why this is not worth it. Is saving a couple gallons of water a day worth it? The added complexity, cost, leak potential and noise of a pump... it is much simpler and better to use a high efficiency membrane. These have been on the market for years and in general are not "liked" by the companies that have sold them.

And... is water down the drain really waste? The cities tend to take the water, clean it up, then send it down the river to where it goes back into the ground water supplies...

Water Guy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a standard RO system with a permeate pump that dumps brine to the kitchen sink drain line. Today I came across a website that showed a Zero Waste design. The schematic is attached and basically has a double-check valve on the brine line and it dumps it in the hot water line.

Does it work? Why are these systems not popular? It shows a booster pump and I am not sure if the inlet pressure to RO membrane is already good (50-60psi) than if it is really required for this zero waste system?

Any thoughts on zero waste? Any pitfalls such as bad for water heater, etc.? Anybody using a similar system?View attachment 67135 Ref: https://www.premierh2o.com/products/watts-premier-500029-zerowaste-reverse-osmosis-system
ya no. waste is a consequence. think of it like this,,you waste 3 gallons of water for every gallon produces. at the most you'll drink 3 gallons a day. that's only 9 gal (or more likely less if you don't use the full 3 gallons). one person uses as much as 75 gal per day showering, dishes, toilets, washing, etc. so 2 people are in the home using 150 gpd, 9 gallons (more realistically 5) is a drop in the bucket comparatively (no pun intended)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks