Floor/Bottom Wall Plate PEX Penetrations

Users who are viewing this thread

Dohc

Reaction score
Looking for opinions or methods to modify the bottom wall plate for PEX penetrations. This is the second floor of a 2-story house. The radiant and potable water supply will be under the subfloor, then route up to a plumbing chase where the potable supply manifold and radiant heat manifold is located. The wall is NOT load bearing. The wall is part of a bathroom and a access panel will open into the bathroom. The bathroom will be a tile floor, which helps in the case of water discharge and purging of the system. Below the 2nd floor plumbing chase is the 1st floor kitchen ceiling (drywall).

The concern I have is if/when water leaks out of the manifolds how to minimize the water in the ceiling. Obviously if I crack a line on the manifolds the water will leak and follow the outside of the PEX down and into the space above the kitchen.

2nd Floor Plumbing Chase...

dohc-01.jpg

dohc-02.jpg

View from the bottom...
y4mrRC88WkW3Vg46Q_Rk-uCKu5eof4DFtUA6ARzAKthq6A6UYS0cQScaeAJx9kOvsfCPChl7EHC7TTKY-gecBAkQsTKX_dnf9ZymUzI-qA3mSUwJ8EfsIzf1ECocUnd9gBBxCiMU4mA32IfH3QMUq6GXkroGrUrbtYPWg-efAotfd2v2vwdVxYcPZ27koiEpm3RcTpj8XOORuiE7vMpkJPazA

Is there a method to "seal" the outside of the PEX before it passes through the floor?

Do I drill holes for each PEX or just cutout the entire bottom plate?

Any suggests to the best way to run the PEX through the subfloor/bottom wall plate?

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Obviously you need to drill separate holes for each pipe wider than the PEX to prevent chafing, however most building codes you'll need to fill the holes around the pipe and electrical wires with a fire block sealant. If possible drill through the center, furthest from the wall edge and use nail plates (gards) along the bottom of the plate to prevent any drywall screw use at that location.

To prevent any water damage from leaks you can coat the area with RedGard. You'll probably use it for the tiling of the bathroom anyway. When you run the PEX and need to make a 90* bend, use bend supports if you have the clearance. It will reduce the amount of fittings inside the walls.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Apollo-...port-with-Mounting-Bracket-PXBEND34/301921332

Dohc

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback and suggestion on the 90 degree bend support, I did not think of that. We are using all Sioux Chief parts and will order some of the Sioux Chief 90 degree Bend Brackets.

As for the fire blocking, that would also prevent any water from going down and into the ceiling area. What types of fire blocking are compatible with PEX-A?

Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
What types of fire blocking are compatible with PEX-A?
You understand that the manifolds that you pictured are not suitable for expansion type (F1960) connections?

Yes you can use crimp rings and clamps with PEX-A -- it does not have to be expansion fittings. But most people using PEX-A are using expansion fittings, so I thought I would bring it up.

Dohc

Reaction score
You understand that the manifolds that you pictured are not suitable for expansion type (F1960) connections?

Yes you can use crimp rings and clamps with PEX-A -- it does not have to be expansion fittings. But most people using PEX-A are using expansion fittings, so I thought I would bring it up.

Yes, understood on the PEX-A, but thanks for checking. Not planning to use the PEX-A with expansion fittings. Wanted the PEX-A because it has the track record in the industry of holding up for many years. We made the mistake with starting out with PEX-C. We have now pulled all of the PEX-C out and replacing with PEX-A. We also understand that we will not have the "full flow" of the PEX-A because of the fittings, but that is also ok, as the system was engineered to only use PEX-C and crimp fittings.

Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks