Noritz water heater no display

Users who are viewing this thread

Sail365

Reaction score
hello,
it seems to happen when it's cold out, the water heater won't work. there is no display on the remote. no error codes. sometimes it will just turn back on when I press the power button, sometimes I have to wait until it warms up in the attic and then I can power it on. I've checked the cable, good connections, no faults. I've replaced the remote, no change. Not that I think it's related but I've flushed it and reflushed (I used to get e90, flushing did fix that).
What else can I check? any insights?
Thank you!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Exactly which model? Gas or Electric. If this is a gas model, most tankless unit must have its fresh air intake screen checked and cleaned.

Sail365

Reaction score
Exactly which model? Gas or Electric. If this is a gas model, most tankless unit must have its fresh air intake screen checked and cleaned.

n-069m-1 tankless natural gas, my bad.

I checked for that, no evidence of an inlet with filter that I could identify. and wouldn't that result in a fault code, not a turned off remote display?
thanks!

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
I only asked for the model number for others that might reply. I do not know this model but since cold seems to cause the problem, I would suspect a lose electrical connection, a bad switch, a loose plug on a wiring harness, a bad crimped wire connector, or a bad solder joint on the control board. Since there are no codes and no display it appears power is being lost somewhere or the unit itself is shutting down for unknown reasons.

The power button on the unit itself, is it a touch only or is it a mechanical type switch? In cold weather something could be making this switch to open or close. If you power off the unit at the breaker panel, at the cutoff switch, or you're able to unplug it, after restoring power does the unit auto turn on or remains off until the power button is used?

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
I found a list of error codes if you do not have a list. Reading the manual, where does this remote mount or is it a wireless connection. You mentioned when it is cold outside, is the space for this heater exposed to the outside air or mounted indoors with a fresh air intake? Very few of these type question get answered since this is a gas appliance and any suggestions for repair can result in liability should an accident occur. If you cannot find anything obvious such as a loose connection since it seems to have been powered down, I suggest you call on an authorized service company.

https://sensibledigs.com/noritz-tankless-error-code-troubleshooting/

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds like no power, at least OP should verify that. Worth florida good approach!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks