Rotating an old fitting

Users who are viewing this thread

Eli

Reaction score
I'm looking to move a gas line from one side of the basement to the other. To do so, I need to rotate one of the fittings by 90° then run the pipe from there. I've been assuming that I will need to remove the fitting, re-dope, then re-install (probably just get a new fitting to be safe). The problem is that I'm not sure if I have the clearance to back off the fitting without getting stuck on the water pipe next to it, meaning I may have to R&R additional fittings upstream. My question is whether I can just tighten it 1/4 turn without removing it, or is that likely to cause a leak? I'm assuming I will have to R&R, but I don't want to make extra work for myself if it's standard practice to just tighten an old fitting.

gas pipe.JPG

Reach4

Reaction score
My question is whether I can just tighten it 1/4 turn without removing it, or is that likely to cause a leak?
Unfortunately, you would have to loosen the elbow to rotate 1/4 turn. So could you rotate 3/4 turn and clear the pipes next to the elbow. I am not a pro.

Eli

Reaction score
Unfortunately, you would have to loosen the elbow to rotate 1/4 turn. So could you rotate 3/4 turn and clear the pipes next to the elbow. I am not a pro.

The fitting I'm trying to rotate is the the one circled below in red, I'd be rotating it 90° clockwise, which should be tightening it. The vertical pipe in the top left of the photo will be removed and once the fitting is rotated, will be replaced with a pipe shown in blue that goes to the wall on the right.

gas pipe2.JPG

Reach4

Reaction score
The fitting I'm trying to rotate is the the one circled below in red, I'd be rotating it 90° clockwise, which should be tightening it.
I had not pictured it right. I would think that if you can rotate 1/4 turn CW, you would be good.

Gagecalman

Reaction score
Is it possible to rotate it, put a plug in the open side and test it for leaks before you go any further?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks