New hot water faucet rusting out

Users who are viewing this thread

greg_xyz_nj

Reaction score
Hello,
I replaced the powder room sink faucets a few weeks ago and noticed some discoloration.
It appears that the hot water faucet is rusting away.
I have a water softener system installed and the cold water faucet seems ok.
The only thing i did was connect the water supply lines to the new faucets.
any ideas what is causing this?
thanks for any insight/advice

Attachments

• IMG_1913.JPG
    IMG_1913.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 152

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Is it a steel washer? Are the water supply lines copper, plastic or a metal flex lines? The way the rust stains spread out, it just could be water getting under the escutcheons. Clean the sink top and put a bead of caulking on the edge of the escutcheons, press it down on the sink top and wipe away excess caulk. Why just the hot side?

I searched on "brass washers" and there are a lot of brass washers listed. You might want to replace these with brass.

greg_xyz_nj

Reaction score
Is it a steel washer? Are the water supply lines copper, plastic or a metal flex lines? The way the rust stains spread out, it just could be water getting under the escutcheons. Clean the sink top and put a bead of caulking on the edge of the escutcheons, press it down on the sink top and wipe away excess caulk. Why just the hot side?

I searched on "brass washers" and Amazon has a lot of brass washers listed. You might want to replace these with brass.

I searched on "brass washers" and Amazon has a lot of brass washers listed. You might want to replace these with brass.

Thanks for getting back to me.
Water lines are copper. There is a shut off valve, from the valve i used new metal flex lines to the faucet. I took the escutcheon off of the cold side and the cold side has a little rust as well.

Attachments

• IMG_1914.JPG
    IMG_1914.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 161

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
.....I replaced the powder room sink faucets a few weeks ago and noticed some discoloration.........

The brass nut should not be tarnished that fast if it was a few weeks ago. The rusting washer seem to have an anodized coating that has deteriorated. It maybe an electrolysis going on, it way I asked what the water lines were made of. The top knurls for the handle also shows electrolysis (green). Its hard to believe it is all this in just a few weeks. This was a brand new faucet? What brand may I ask?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks