Trying to properly vent and avoid an AAV

Users who are viewing this thread

BradCros

Reaction score
Love the forum but first time posting. I’ve searched the forum and can’t quite find this particular situation bing covered before.

I’m in a 1984 house and remodeling it piece by piece - currently that half bath. I’m moving around the configuration so the vanity is essentially on the opposite wall from where it started. The new vanity location is on an exterior wall. I’ve run supply lines and installed the toilet plumbing (haven’t glued the closet flange yet so may look odd in the video). The problem is the vanity drain. The there isn’t room for the drain in the wall behind the vanity and I’ve never seen a drain coming through the floor with a vent then angling back through the wall. I’d like to avoid an AAV if possible.

I made a short video to show what’s going on. Any ideas? Thanks a million!

Reach4

Reaction score
I made a short video to show what’s going on. Any ideas?
Look behind the insulation that is behind the lavatory copper supply stubouts.

If nothing there , I see a tee on the toilet vent near the size transition, in the first few seconds of your video. I am thinking the intention could have been that you bring the lavatory drain horizontally into that tee after drilling some studs. Long path with two corners, so maybe not. An IPC trap arm with 2 inch pipe could travel up to 8 ft.

Last edited:

BradCros

Reaction score
Look behind the insulation that is behind the lavatory copper supply stubouts.

If nothing there , I see a tee on the toilet vent near the size transition, in the first few seconds of your video. I am thinking the intention could have been that you bring the lavatory drain horizontally into that tee after drilling some studs. Long path with two corners, so maybe not. An IPC trap arm with 2 inch pipe could travel up to 8 ft.

Thanks for taking a look. The tee you mentioned is from where the vanity was previously located. The path you mention would have me drilling every stud on the back wall and I’d worry about it’s structural integrity. I’d also assume snaking that run could be a nightmare. That route didn’t occur to me - I assumed it would be violating some sort of code. I was thinking about that drain coming up through the floor past the bottom plate (wye w/ 45 coming up from the main drain) then turn back into the wall. I’ll be building the vanity so it could be built to accommodate but I don’t want it to look like amateur hour.

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can come straight up through the floor, put on a san tee, 45 back into the wall then 45 up and through the roof.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
keep the 45s low and they will clear and miss the bottom of cabinet no visible pipe. run vent back as you said you got this! dont need no stinkin aav!

BradCros

Reaction score
keep the 45s low and they will clear and miss the bottom of cabinet no visible pipe. run vent back as you said you got this! dont need no stinkin aav!
Perfect! I don’t know why I had it stuck in my head that the 45s needed to be above the San tee.

I’ll bring it up just above the bottom plate and 45 back into the wall. I was planning 2” for the drain (Wye w/ 45 being 2” up to the San tee) and 1.5” for the vent. should I just go with the 1.5” for the drain and vent? Any thoughts? Thanks a million!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Perfect! I don’t know why I had it stuck in my head that the 45s needed to be above the San tee.

I’ll bring it up just above the bottom plate and 45 back into the wall. I was planning 2” for the drain (Wye w/ 45 being 2” up to the San tee) and 1.5” for the vent. should I just go with the 1.5” for the drain and vent? Any thoughts? Thanks a million!
I use 2 inch to the santee always . Except when I have an existing 1 1/2 line or where I got a fight to fit the bigger pipe. Not realy nessesary but I run 2 inch to all sinks and Lavs. just my style the cost seems negligable to me

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks