Redesign kitchen sink drain

Users who are viewing this thread

pvs57

Reaction score
Currently my kitchen sink drain goes along the wall through a cabinet to the right of the sink and into the wall into a vent stack (to the roof) and drains down below the floor joists. This 3" drain below the joists in the basement goes to the left of the sink to the house main stack. I am remodeling the kitchen and want to put the dishwasher to the right of the sink but since the 2" drain is outside the wall it restricts the DW to be pushed all the way in. Can I just drain down directly to the drain in the basement below the floor and keeps the rest of the vent design as it is?

Attachments

• current1.png
    current1.png
    19.3 KB · Views: 217
  • new1.png
    new1.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 198

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Untitled.png

Its totally acceptable to run your sink to the horizontal drain. You need to vent the sink trap. The vent should connect to the vent stack a minimum of 6" above the flood level of the fixture its serving.

pvs57

Reaction score
Thank you for your quick response. But by putting the vent as you drawn, still requires a pipe to pass in behind the dishwasher and it might prevent it from being pushed all the way in. I was hoping there was a way to not have any plumbing in behind the dishwasher.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The best scenario the vent pipe would be drilled through the studs behind the dishwasher to connect to the vent stack.

Second best and if your jurisdiction allows the use of an Air Admittance Valve (AAV / Studor Vent) which breaks the siphon caused by water draining through the p-trap.

You need some form of air movement while still keeping the sewer gasses from entering your home.

This kitchen sink plumbing is for a 1920 home in Seaside OR, found on a real estate site.

kitchen-rough-seaside.jpg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
The best way for this situation is to use an AAV (https://www.oatey.com/) and you'll need to bring the trap arm to either corner of the kitchen cabinet and drill down into basement. Install the AAV at least 4" above the sanitee. Be sure that the trap arm is at least 3" long before connecting to the tee. The only hassel might be the drain line below the floor. If it is PVC, easy, if it's galvanized or cast iron, that will take some doing.

Do bring the drain to the corner of the cabinet and not straight back. If you get a new faucet with a pull out sprayhead, the weight for the hose to the spray head will be straight down in the center of the cabinet and it will hit a drain when they are centered to the back wall of the cabinet. The Oatley website has a simple video on how to install an AAV.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
classic problem . Ive never had luxury to use aav to solve it certainly easy though. In past Ive notched dry wall , and framing pushing pipe just enough to clear , moved waste to other side of window, and even island vented the kitchen sink. I really dont know if an aav always flys with inspectors to this day in my area. but to much of the country they use them constantly with no problem passing inspection

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
10.16(16) is titled "Venting of Sumps and Ejectors". So I don't think anything there applies outside of sump and ejectors.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks