Electric Double Oven trips the breaker - sometimes

Users who are viewing this thread

KPA49

Reaction score
After 14 years of normal use, our Kenmore Double ovens started tripping the breaker.

Remedies:

1. Replaced the breaker
2. Ovens worked for a few days - then tripped the breaker again
3. Following several service calls on the ovens - we replaced the ovens
4. Ovens worked well for a couple of months - then tripped the breaker
5. Service call on new oven - tech tried numerous tests, finally with mfg. tech on the phone
power was restored - tech was not satisfied and scheduled another visit to replace circuit boards
6. Boards replaced - worked well for a couple of weeks
7. Tripped the breaker again - breaker would reset and restore power but the heating control board was dead.

Before I have the boards replaced again (under warranty) should I have an electrician fish a new wire??

Fitter30

Reaction score
Intermittent trips could be caused by many things from a bad or loose connection in the ovens are at the breaker where it plugs in. Take note when the trip happens which oven was on, how long was it on. After ovens have been on for 30 minutes touch the circuit breaker see if it's warm or hot not the trip lever but the flat part.

GaryMetro

Reaction score
I'm sure it isn't easy to get behind the oven but you may want to check the wall receptacle where it is plugged in for dirt or grease or other such issue which could somehow be causing a short.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Are you positive that the wiring circuit is the proper size for the ovens in use?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Does it trip with one or both ovens on? Get a clamp meter and with both ovens on, get a reading on L1 and L2 on the current draw. Both L1 and L2 should read about the same and the current should be no more than 80% of the breaker size. The turn on one oven at a time and get a current reading. If the ovens are the same current should be the same. If the one is larger than the other, the electric label will give the max current draw.
When the ovens were replaced and they are on a plug to the wall, was the receptacle (wall) side cover ever removed and inspected?

KPA49

Reaction score
Does it trip with one or both ovens on? Get a clamp meter and with both ovens on, get a reading on L1 and L2 on the current draw. Both L1 and L2 should read about the same and the current should be no more than 80% of the breaker size. The turn on one oven at a time and get a current reading. If the ovens are the same current should be the same. If the one is larger than the other, the electric label will give the max current draw.
When the ovens were replaced and they are on a plug to the wall, was the receptacle (wall) side cover ever removed and inspected?

It has tripped with one, and both ovens in operation, but not consistently. The receptacle was inspected, and replaced.

I am at the point where I am prepared to have a new wire fished from the Breaker box to the ovens....

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
A new cable maybe in order as you suggest. It could be a nail or screw penetrated the cable and who knows when and it is finally showing it's ugly head though you would think it be a hard short. Another possibility is something chewed into the cable.

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
When a breaker trips it's one of two things, an short or heat from overload. A short Will immediately trip and the breaker temperature will be the ambient air. An overload the breaker heats up and the if you feel the breaker it will be warm to hot. A reset may take some time for it to cool down and may not immediately reset. Just some clues to help what is going on.

I know you changed the breaker so it's assumed that the blades inside the panel were in good shape with no corrosion. A good electrician will know of the known panels that are notoriously bad.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you don't use one of the approved breakers for the panel, you can get some weird results as the tension of the blade contacts may not be the proper size, shape, or tension. There's usually a list of acceptable models on the back of the door. Breakers aren't universally interchangeable.

You aren't for chance dealing with aluminum wires are you?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks