New User - Some toilet help please

Users who are viewing this thread

Berry

Reaction score
Hi, been doing a lot of research here. Great forums. Just looking for a bit of advice

I am planning to replace two old 3.5GPF toilets. One because we need to change the color of the one, the other because we would like a higher seat height

You have convinced me to get a Toto. I was planning the following:

Toto Drake Elongated Chair Height ADA compliant in Black - Model #CST744SL-51
and
Toto Entrada Water Sense Chair Height ADA compliant in Cotton White - Model #CST244EF-01

My problem is no plumber I have contacted stocks or carries these. My options are to buy at a big box store - and Lowes says the Drake would arrive in 2 weeks for $416 and the Entrada in a few days for $189. Timeframe is fine with me as there is no rush

But I prefer supporting local businesses so I tried plumbing suppliers and only found one near me that carries these. But they tell me the lead time is quite long on both and their pricing is higher. They also said that to be careful that the Model #CST744SL-51 Lowes sells is not the true 18" ADA height to the seat. Something about the Drake being discontinued but the brought back at a slightly lower height. And they suggested the Drake II - model cst454 - which is more expensive but they say has a much better flushing system.

My questions:

1. Is the Drake II worth the extra money over the Drake (remember I am paying a premium to get it in black)
2. Any concern about getting these Toto's from Lowes (as my only other option is this higher priced local supplier with longer lead times)? Is what he said about the height accurate - I can't imagine Toto makes two variations of the same ADA Drake CST744 in different heights over 16'5"
3. Are these packaged in one box or two if I have to pick up from Lowes?
4. What seat would you recommend for each (not wanting to spend a ton, but particularly on the black toilet would like a little thicker seat to get to near that 18" total height)
5. Alternatively, could I try and salvage the existing black Kohler seat from the toilet it is replacing. Even though the toilet is 30 years old, the seat is fine. Just not sure about how easy it would be to remove and reinstall on the Toto and if I would need new mounting hardware and where to get that

I would in my younger days try to install these myself. But given both are on the second floor, not sure my old body is up to the task. So also going to be hiring a plumber to install - and the going rate seems to be $165 to $180 per toilet to install

Thanks much

Last edited:

Peterson

Reaction score
You can get the Kohler Highline Tall toilet in black. The bowl is 19" high. It is a special order though. Something to consider.

Berry

Reaction score
You can get the Kohler Highline Tall toilet in black. The bowl is 19" high. It is a special order though. Something to consider.

Thanks - I did look at that initially, and was thinking of going that Kohler route because of the 19" height before adding a seat. But after more research decided that Toto may be a better flushing option for me - plus in black, the Toto was $100 cheaper. I think if the Drake ADA is 16.5 and I get a seat that is 1' tall (or better yet if I can find one that is 1.5" tall), that gets me to hopefully 17.5 or 18" overall. Which should be fine

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The biggest outward difference between the - and II versions of Toto toilets is the rimless, horizontal bowl wash...the water comes out nearly horizontally, and swirls down the bowl versus coming out of holes around the bowl...it cleans the bowl better and often with less water. It is a better design than the traditional methods used previously.

Black is tough on any porcelain toilet given that the clay used is often nearly pure white...any minor difference in glaze thickness or other defect becomes readily evident, so it takes more time and care to produce a quality black toilet than other, light colors.

Berry

Reaction score
The biggest outward difference between the - and II versions of Toto toilets is the rimless, horizontal bowl wash...the water comes out nearly horizontally, and swirls down the bowl versus coming out of holes around the bowl...it cleans the bowl better and often with less water. It is a better design than the traditional methods used previously.

Black is tough on any porcelain toilet given that the clay used is often nearly pure white...any minor difference in glaze thickness or other defect becomes readily evident, so it takes more time and care to produce a quality black toilet than other, light colors.

Thanks. I think after looking at these more and the price difference, I am going to stick with the

Toto Drake Elongated Chair Height ADA compliant in Black - Model #CST744SL-51 in the master bath
and
Toto Entrada Water Sense Chair Height ADA compliant in Cotton White - Model #CST244EF-01 in the second full bath

If U was replacing the toilet on the first floor in the powder room, I may have gone with the Drake II given that one is the most often used toilet in the house

I guess I will take my chances with Lowes and shipping given the prices. My Lowes does not stock them at the store, but can get them shipped to the store or directly to me at no shipping cost. I know there are risks of breakage in shipping these but I figured since the arrival date was the same for either option, I might as well try having them shipped directly to me. I assume the same truck would have brought them to the store - but then someone there is unloading them and moving them til I come and pick the up. I will just cross my fingers they arrive safely

Berry

Reaction score
So all that said, can people give me some suggestions on what seat they recommend?

We prefer a harder, thicker plastic seat (not something flimsy). Don't care about soft close. Have not really had enameled wood seats before. Not adverse to them per se but the Kohler plastic seats on the toilets I am replacing have lasted 30 years and still are in great shape

So I am just something that will work well with these two toilets. I know I can buy a toto seat but is that really the best option as well as the most economical option? $80 for the Toto black SS114 is quite expensive

Thanks

Last edited:

Peterson

Reaction score
I would just get the Kohler Brevia plastic seats that Lowes sells. You would probably have to special order one in black. They are tough plastic and have lasted on my toilets for years.

I've always thought black fixtures in a bathroom were really regal and classy looking. However, hard water does a job on the finish on them, especially the toilet. Any bit of limescale shows up, and repeated scrubbings can make the bowl look etched and cloudy.

Berry

Reaction score
I would just get the Kohler Brevia plastic seats that Lowes sells. You would probably have to special order one in black. They are tough plastic and have lasted on my toilets for years.

I've always thought black fixtures in a bathroom were really regal and classy looking. However, hard water does a job on the finish on them, especially the toilet. Any bit of limescale shows up, and repeated scrubbings can make the bowl look etched and cloudy.

Thanks - I will look at the Kohler Brevia seat for the white toilet (although looks like the black one is discontinued and I will have to find some other option there - and those prices for black seats are not pretty)

We have had black fixtures in our master bath for 30 years - and they do look classy. Luckily we have not had an issue with hard water affecting them

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks