Water well pressure tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Dede

Reaction score
Hello. So I live in lake Charles la and was recently hit by hurricane Laura. A tree fell on the pvc that connects my tank. And broke the pvc. This is either a weird setup or old setup but I don’t have a tee. So just the pvc broke and the tank fell. A plumber said the tank should still work. My husband can replace the pvc that broke. But we don’t know what to do afterwards about the tank. I’ve seen videos about draining it. I’m not sure what’s that right call. The drain valve is located on the well casing via a tee. Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• F941A226-4AC5-40AE-90C3-0441ACF15725.jpeg
    F941A226-4AC5-40AE-90C3-0441ACF15725.jpeg
    186.3 KB · Views: 152
  • 1110ACBA-537C-4E0B-BC2F-80AF5A072AEE.jpeg
    1110ACBA-537C-4E0B-BC2F-80AF5A072AEE.jpeg
    181.5 KB · Views: 140

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I'm glad the tree didn't fall on your home. Need better pictures of you pressure tank. There are two kinds, most now have a bladder (like a balloon) and it keeps the water and air separate. The other is the air and water are in one tank. The process is similar but different. For a bladder type tank you need an air compressor or old fashion bicycle pump and a pressure gauge. A bicycle pump can be a bit tough to get the volume of air needed for 38 PSI.
There are plenty of videos on this topic on Youtube.

With the pump powered off and to drain water from the tank, open the lowest spigot on your set up. If there isn't one you can easily add one.

Dede

Reaction score
Thank you do much for you response. This tank is a flex-lite model fl17. The pressure gauge is still connected to the pvc. Or do I need a desperate gauge. So you say I need to drain the water from the tank. And then I have to add air to 38psi? I attached a picture of the tank.
I'm glad the tree didn't fall on your home. Need better pictures of you pressure tank. There are two kinds, most now have a bladder (like a balloon) and it keeps the water and air separate. The other is the air and water are in one tank. The process is similar but different. For a bladder type tank you need an air compressor or old fashion bicycle pump and a pressure gauge. A bicycle pump can be a bit tough to get the volume of air needed for 38 PSI.
There are plenty of videos on this topic on Youtube.

With the pump powered off and to drain water from the tank, open the lowest spigot on your set up. If there isn't one you can easily add one.

Attachments

• 874E55EB-6C23-42D4-9C91-CDA87CD6806F.jpeg
    874E55EB-6C23-42D4-9C91-CDA87CD6806F.jpeg
    194.8 KB · Views: 148

Reach4

Reaction score
Water is already drained.

You have a submersible pump. What psi is your pressure switch set to? If 40/60, then 38 psi for the air is right. If the pressure switch is set to 30/50, then 28 is right for the air.

Protect your FL17 pressure tank from UV with a cover.

Dede

Reaction score
I looked everywhere for the pressure switch info. The sticker just says max 220 psi. This is a tank installed by home previous owner. How exactly did the water drain? Did it happen when it broke from the pvc? I didn’t manually drain it. Also how do I add the air. From the air valve on top of the tank?
Water is already drained.

You have a submersible pump. What psi is your pressure switch set to? If 40/60, then 38 psi for the air is right. If the pressure switch is set to 30/50, then 28 is right for the air.

Protect your FL17 pressure tank from UV with a cover.

Reach4

Reaction score
I looked everywhere for the pressure switch info. The sticker just says max 220 psi.
Even if there had been a label, it could have been adjusted. Normally you only turn the nut on the big spring. About 3.5 turns clockwise raised both cut-in and cut-out about 10 psi.

This is a tank installed by home previous owner. How exactly did the water drain?
It came out of the broken pipe from below the diaphragm. If there is water above the diaphragm, the tank is bad.
Also how do I add the air. From the air valve on top of the tank?

Yes, Schrader valve on top for the air. Use a valve cap to seal better. Use a tire pressure gauge. Air may be OK already, or may be a little low and needs some. A "250 psi" electric tire pump would take a long time.

Note than when repiping, you want the pressure gauge to sense the pressure pretty much the same as the pressure at the input to the pressure tank. If there is going to be a lot of pipe, move the pressure switch to the pressure tank.

Dede

Reaction score
Thank you so much. This has been helpful. I have a few last questions. Do I do 38 psi or 28 psi. Since I don’t know the pressure switch info. And do I add water to the tank or does this happen by itself.
Even if there had been a label, it could have been adjusted. Normally you only turn the nut on the big spring. About 3.5 turns clockwise raised both cut-in and cut-out about 10 psi.

It came out of the broken pipe from below the diaphragm. If there is water above the diaphragm, the tank is bad.

Yes, Schrader valve on top for the air. Use a valve cap to seal better. Use a tire pressure gauge. Air may be OK already, or may be a little low and needs some. A "250 psi" electric tire pump would take a long time.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thank you so much. This has been helpful. I have a few last questions. Do I do 38 psi or 28 psi. Since I don’t know the pressure switch info. And do I add water to the tank or does this happen by itself.
All by itself.

See what is there now. If you want, you could pump it up to 38 at the gas station. Then if you later find that was too high, let some air out.

One symptom of having too much air is a little stutter in air pressure when the pump turns on, plus the capacity is lower. Too little pressure can be harder on the tank. To much pressure is not hard on the tank.

When the system is normal, the air pressure and water pressure would read about the same. That is useful to compare calibration on your water pressure gauge and your air pressure gauge.

Dede

Reaction score
Hello there. I just wanted to thank you for your help. We were able to install the tank back on and we have water.
All by itself.

See what is there now. If you want, you could pump it up to 38 at the gas station. Then if you later find that was too high, let some air out.

One symptom of having too much air is a little stutter in air pressure when the pump turns on, plus the capacity is lower. Too little pressure can be harder on the tank. To much pressure is not hard on the tank.

When the system is normal, the air pressure and water pressure would read about the same. That is useful to compare calibration on your water pressure gauge and your air pressure gauge.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Hello there. I just wanted to thank you for your help. We were able to install the tank back on and we have water.

Glad you got it working. Now you have time to research how a pressure tank works and why you need a Cycle Stop Valve. If nothing else, the CSV with a small tank is easier to keep covered and less likely to get hit by falling trees or debris.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks