Vacuum breaker valve leak

Users who are viewing this thread

duclad

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have some experience with replacing standard anti-siphon plastic valves but NONE with brass vacuum breaker valves, so please bear with my newbie questions. My 3/4" Champion 12362 VB valve is leaking when activated (see pic). First, does anyone know if these are repairable? Maybe there are generic gasket kits? (can't seem to find any kits for this specific valve.)

If not, my second newbie question is how exactly to replace the valve. I'm thinking, after shutting off water, of first using a pipe wrench to remove the 2" horizontal connecting pipe in order to be able to screw off and replace the old valve. Would this be the correct procedure/order? ...to do this one of the female connectors must be a left-hand thread, correct? Many thanks for any advice.
-Jim

Attachments

• leaking valve photo.jpeg
    leaking valve photo.jpeg
    120.5 KB · Views: 458

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Are these vacuum breakers for an irrigation system? What is the pipe type coming out of the ground?

I would cut the nipple between the elbow and breaker, replace everything and use a union to joint the breaker and elbow. If this is galvanized pipe it can be a PITA to do, might want change over to PVC from the elbows to the breakers. Most breakers are brass but if this is for irrigation, there are PVC breakers out there.

duclad

Reaction score
Are these vacuum breakers for an irrigation system? What is the pipe type coming out of the ground?

I would cut the nipple between the elbow and breaker, replace everything and use a union to joint the breaker and elbow. If this is galvanized pipe it can be a PITA to do, might want change over to PVC from the elbows to the breakers. Most breakers are brass but if this is for irrigation, there are PVC breakers out there.

Thanks for the response. It looks like there may be a repair kit which sounds a lot easier...I'm waiting to hear from Champion that it would be compatible.

But if that doesn't work out I'll have to look at replacing the valve. Yes, these are for an irrigation system. Pipes coming up from the ground are metal, so probably galvanized I assume. Breaker is brass. So to cut the nipple, would I use a hacksaw?

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
If the line is Brass then its an easy replacement all you need is buy 2- TP * x M adapters cut the brass pipe unscrew the old vacuum breaker and replace it

*TP is Threadless pipe so one side is either male x TP or F x TP

We use it all the time as TP is the same diameter as IPS but it only works on either copper or brass

You have to clean the brass good for the solder to work and you can use the old brass back into the TP adapters I do not think you can find a real Stanley G Flag flow TP adapter as the ones I have in stock are worth their weight in gold

Normally I braze the joints but for normal water pressures soldering works

http://lebrass.pottsmarketing.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/2013_SILBRAZE_CATALOG.pdf

duclad

Reaction score
I don't think the line is brass or copper. My soldering skills are pretty limited anyway so it's likely is just as well that I won't be tempted! Thanks for the suggestion though, I learned something.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Dig down to see if the pipe changes to PVC or poly. It may be metal for impact concerns. However, depending on the age of the home, your water source pipe may be galvanized or copper. California seems to have a lot of galvanized pipe probably because of ground movement. On the irrigation side it should be PVC or a poly. Is there a shut off valve for the irrigation system only?

If you have to change the VB's, you still may need to dig down and will need two pipe wrenches. Putting a wrench on top and turning, the pipe below may turn and that will loosen the elbow connection below. On the irrigation side trying to remove the elbow and the pipe is frozen, the elbow connection below may break. So, two pipe wrenched will be needed. Hopeful a rebuilt kit is available.

To cut galvanized with a hacksaw you might be there all day. A good pipe cutter will do it in a few minutes. A sawzall or a cutoff grinder will also work.

duclad

Reaction score
Many thanks for taking the time to describe the process. I did have a shut-off for the irrigation system put in a few years ago (got tired of turning water to everything, including house, off when I was changing non-VB irrigation valves!). And I do have a sawzall, so if it comes to replacement of VB valve, I might be able to do it, though I'll likely have follow-up questions once I'm at it. But for now, I'm chasing a rebuild kit that Champion says should be compatible with my no-longer made Champion VB valve. Hopefully I can locate one (not so easy at it turns out - Champion doesn't sell direct) and it does the job. Really appreciate your help! Thanks. -Jim

duclad

Reaction score
So I lucked out big time. Champion does make a repair kit that I was able to get via a third party. Problem was a torn gasket. Replaced that from the kit and no leak! Thanks guys for your responses - really appreciate it!

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks