Dishwasher supply line siphon?

Users who are viewing this thread

bork

Reaction score
Replacing dishwasher. Three way (hot water line, sink faucet, dishwasher) valve on hot water supply is off. There is a single handle faucet on sink. Cold water valve still on. I have unhooked the water supply from dishwasher and laying on floor--little water came out. However I later found large puddle after wife used the sink cold water. Then I put end of water line up at sink level and low and behold, when cold water turned on there was some squirt out of the hot water line. I now assume that turning the valve off stops off the hot water supply but the two supply holes and tubes are not blocked off by the valve??? so I am getting water from the faucet cold water pushing/siphoning back down the hot water line? Is this reasonable or could it be a faulty hot water line valve. Dont want to replace a valve if its not the reason. Thanx for help/info

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
A single handle dual supply valve typically will have both outlets connected to each other whether the valve is on or off. A single handle faucet, if set to part hot/part cold, will cross connect hot and cold. So if there is no pressure on the hot, the cold water will travel from the supply, through the faucet, back down the hot supply, through the dual valve, and out of the open dishwasher supply line.

Cheers, Wayne

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
A single handle faucet moves on two axes. On one axis, it varies the mix from all hot to all cold. On the other (off-to-on) axis, it mixes hot and cold when the other axis is in the middle position. Probably when going from middle off to cold side on, it is crossing the middle on (mix) position.

bork

Reaction score
A single handle dual supply valve typically will have both outlets connected to each other whether the valve is on or off. A single handle faucet, if set to part hot/part cold, will cross connect hot and cold. So if there is no pressure on the hot, the cold water will travel from the supply, through the faucet, back down the hot supply, through the dual valve, and out of the open dishwasher supply line.

Cheers, Wayne
Thanx for reply--saved me from changing out the valve!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks