Capacitor start submersible pump relay for irrigation

Users who are viewing this thread

Nathan Gant

Reaction score
That would be normal on the start wire. Now clip that amp meter around either L1 or L2 wires going to that box and see how many amps it is drawing.
I clamped ammeter to a nearby AC unit that was running at the time, I got a reading so I know ammeter is okay
Unfortunately clamping to output with power to pump, didn’t even get fractional amperage

Note Hunter pump relay is wired parallel with, and on top of pump start controller. Doesn’t do anything at the moment, will have on hand for future use

Reach4

Reaction score
I just finished putting in a new capacitor, I’m getting 275vac output going to pump now
What voltage do you get between terminals B and Y?

What voltage do you get between L1 and L2?

Reach4

Reaction score
With indexing controller toggled ON (power out to pump start control), B and Y terminals show 275-280vac.
L1 and L2 terminals show 280vac.
That voltage is unusually high. I would normally expect no more than 264 if you have normal 120/240 single phase service. You might check your meter, and then if the meter is good, ask your power company what is going on. If you have 3 phase power, then some more study is needed.

So the pump is not running, and you have zero current. Terminals R, Y, and B are wired to the pump. Either you have a broken wire/connection, or your pump is bad.

Last edited:

Nathan Gant

Reaction score
That voltage is unusually high. I would normally expect no more than 264 if you have normal 120/240 single phase service. You might check your meter, and then if the meter is good, ask your power company what is going on. If you have 3 phase power, then some more study is needed.

So the pump is not running, and you have zero current. Terminals R, Y, and B are wired to the pump. Either you have a broken wire/connection, or your pump is bad.

I checked Y and B wires going back to well point, voltage was about 120vac here with power supplied to pump. Is that a normal drop in voltage at this point?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
I checked Y and B wires going back to well point, voltage was about 120vac here with power supplied to pump. Is that a normal drop in voltage at this point?
No. The voltage from Y to B at the well should not have any drop if there is no current. You therefore have a broken wire or splice.

But to be clear, don't measure voltage for this purpose between ground and a wire. Measure hot to hot. Measuring the voltage from hot to ground seems useful for distinguishing which path is open. However presumable the pump makes a path, so both wires are still going to read about 120 volts to ground despite a break.

If you can extend one of the probes with a wire (don't shock anybody), a large voltage drop from the Y terminal to the yellow wire at the wellhead or pump would mean the yellow wire path was open/broken. I think you can turn this over to an electrician or pump person, since each can troubleshoot and repair wire and connection problems. If you do it yourself, you might enlist a friend with some electrical or electronic experience to help pinpoint the failure.

Nathan Gant

Reaction score
No. The voltage from Y to B at the well should not have any drop if there is no current. You therefore have a broken wire or splice.

But to be clear, don't measure voltage for this purpose between ground and a wire. Measure hot to hot. Measuring the voltage from hot to ground seems useful for distinguishing which path is open. However presumable the pump makes a path, so both wires are still going to read about 120 volts to ground despite a break.

If you can extend one of the probes with a wire (don't shock anybody), a large voltage drop from the Y terminal to the yellow wire at the wellhead or pump would mean the yellow wire path was open/broken. I think you can turn this over to an electrician or pump person, since each can troubleshoot and repair wire and connection problems. If you do it yourself, you might enlist a friend with some electrical or electronic experience to help pinpoint the failure.
Advice noted. I may have some extra UG-rated wiring to make a temporary 50ft run from pump start controller to pump. I’ll see what I can do in this regard before I can assume a bad submersible pump.

Nathan Gant

Reaction score
Advice noted. I may have some extra UG-rated wiring to make a temporary 50ft run from pump start controller to pump. I’ll see what I can do in this regard before I can assume a bad submersible pump.
An electrician was on site there yesterday and confirmed what you have stated, that the (black ) 220vac UG wire going to pump was definitely bad. So it looks like I should have irrigation up and running when I bring in a 50ft run of new UG-rated wiring to submersible pump. Hopefully all will go as planned ASAP.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks