Kennard Rough in rear outlet toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Steven JP

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me how to rough in a rear outlet toilet? The centerline of the outlet of the toilet is 7 inches off the floor. It seems pretty straightforward as to how it installs. The 3 inch pipe comes out of the wall and pretty much just attaches to it. My question is how do I rough in that pipe. It seems like a bad idea to just have it loose and poke through the drywall so what are the standard practices as to how to secure this pipe.

I plan on using this toilet but if anyone has any suggestions as to a better one i'm listening. It just has to be at least 6.5 inches rough in and i don't want it to be over 400 dollars.
https://www.signaturehardware.com/k...DeXll5-OtNvuT_y5ldRoCEZ8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.signaturehardware.com/media/pdf/25401-spec.pdf

Mad Plumber

Mad Skills
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Lemme see what dis does.

I see dis.

"This has been the worst and most expensive plumbing fixture I have ever dealt with. The description of the install is incorrect! This fitting that connects the toilet to the wall drain will NOT mate with a 3" or 4" PVC socket. The fitting that comes with the toilet is SDR, not PVC. When I called customer service, I was told that I could get my plumber to buy a collar type fitting at any hardware store to make it work. When he tried to tighten the collar on the SDR piece, the thing cracked. When he finally acquired another collar type to go directly from the toilet to the wall, it LEAKS. Also, the water supply is not the usual size for the US. You have to have a special supply line. The bolts that hold the tank to the base are plastic. They cannot be tightened enough to keep the tank from rocking. We had to buy our own metal bolts and install them. There were no detailed instructions for the lid assembly and I had to figure it out myself in front of three plumbers. All around a 3 plumber x 5 hours, super huge nightmare. Don't buy this."

"Fill valve is not standard 7/8" connection and after searching for a hose I desiced to buy a new fill valve and throw out the one that came with the toilet. "

"I had to contact two different plumbers to install the toilet. The first came out and looked at the toilet and basically said good luck with that and left. The second gave the install yeoman effort but was really frustrated by it and called a cheap, piece of junk on many occasions for various reasons. After the install, the placement of floor mounting bolts allowed it wobble and he ended up bracing it behind the tank for stability. It also cost me triple the cost of normal toilet installation because of the extra time involved."

"I love the fact we didn't have to hammer through concrete for a bottom outlet toilet."

kennard-dual-flush.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I found this

Connector may be glued to 3" PVC or ABS coupling or hub fitting. Also fastens to 4" PVC or ABS hub fitting with included rubber seal.

Okay, this sounds confusing. Somehow with whatever size or fitting you want to try, sure maybe it is easy depending on what doesn't leak back there.

Steven JP

Reaction score
Lemme see what dis does.

I see dis.

"This has been the worst and most expensive plumbing fixture I have ever dealt with. The description of the install is incorrect! This fitting that connects the toilet to the wall drain will NOT mate with a 3" or 4" PVC socket. The fitting that comes with the toilet is SDR, not PVC. When I called customer service, I was told that I could get my plumber to buy a collar type fitting at any hardware store to make it work. When he tried to tighten the collar on the SDR piece, the thing cracked. When he finally acquired another collar type to go directly from the toilet to the wall, it LEAKS. Also, the water supply is not the usual size for the US. You have to have a special supply line. The bolts that hold the tank to the base are plastic. They cannot be tightened enough to keep the tank from rocking. We had to buy our own metal bolts and install them. There were no detailed instructions for the lid assembly and I had to figure it out myself in front of three plumbers. All around a 3 plumber x 5 hours, super huge nightmare. Don't buy this."

"Fill valve is not standard 7/8" connection and after searching for a hose I desiced to buy a new fill valve and throw out the one that came with the toilet. "

"I had to contact two different plumbers to install the toilet. The first came out and looked at the toilet and basically said good luck with that and left. The second gave the install yeoman effort but was really frustrated by it and called a cheap, piece of junk on many occasions for various reasons. After the install, the placement of floor mounting bolts allowed it wobble and he ended up bracing it behind the tank for stability. It also cost me triple the cost of normal toilet installation because of the extra time involved."

"I love the fact we didn't have to hammer through concrete for a bottom outlet toilet."

View attachment 65745

Ok? These are reviews from websites.

Steven JP

Reaction score
I found this

Connector may be glued to 3" PVC or ABS coupling or hub fitting. Also fastens to 4" PVC or ABS hub fitting with included rubber seal.

Okay, this sounds confusing. Somehow with whatever size or fitting you want to try, sure maybe it is easy depending on what doesn't leak back there.

I feel like the 3 inch pipe needs to be secured on the other side of the drywall. Thats my concern.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
No literature for this. It's a European method that has been imported here. I'm thinking it will be metric and that will have to fit up to sizing we use.
You may need to buy the toilet and then go to the hardware store to see what fits it.
I don't think you want a permanent connection there, but one that can be removed as needed.

kennard-dual-flush-connect.jpg

Last edited:

Steven JP

Reaction score
No literature for this. It's a European method that has been imported here. I'm thinking it will be metric and that will have to fit up to sizing we use.
You may need to buy the toilet and then go to the hardware store to see what fits it.
I don't think you want a permanent connection there, but one that can be removed as needed.

kennard-dual-flush-connect.jpg

Yeah I'm not to worried about how it will fit the pipe coming out of the wall but I don't understand how the pipe is secured. A regular toilet has the flange that secures both the toilet and the drain pipe. With this toilet the drain pipe connects to the toilet but how is the drain pipe stabilized other than being connected to the toilet. Is there something I can put between the framing to secure the pipe so it can't move?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks