Galvanized steel to PVC in bathroom: plumbing vent + tub drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Dan

Reaction score

great thanks, seems much sturdier. but how would i connect the straight tubular coming down from the tub?

edit: the idea being the tubular ptrap allows me to take the 'trap' off, or twist/move it around to get at a clog, a clean out on top of prevent gas coming back up. woth that pvc trap, i would have to cement/glue one end so i wouldnt be able to use it as a clean out, correct?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
well this is the problem: i'm not sure what to call the size of the galvanized steel. it is ~1.25" inner diameter / ~1.75" outer diameter. but 1.5" solutions couplings fit it.
That's probably 1-1/2" galvanized. The OD should be 1.9", same as the 1-1/2" plastic you're using. The ID was originally 1.5", but as the steel rusts it can accumulate on the inside and reduce the ID. So it is worth replacing as much of it as is possible.

Now if the OD is 1.6", that's 1-1/4" galvanized, which would be a problem.

On the trap style (tubular, solvent weld + threaded, or solvent weld only), I don't have an opinion, I'll just point out that the first two options would let you open up the trap, the last option would not.

Cheers, Wayne

Reactions: Dan

Dan

Reaction score
That's probably 1-1/2" galvanized. The OD should be 1.9", same as the 1-1/2" plastic you're using. The ID was originally 1.5", but as the steel rusts it can accumulate on the inside and reduce the ID. So it is worth replacing as much of it as is possible.

Now if the OD is 1.6", that's 1-1/4" galvanized, which would be a problem.

On the trap style (tubular, solvent weld + threaded, or solvent weld only), I don't have an opinion, I'll just point out that the first two options would let you open up the trap, the last option would not.

Cheers, Wayne

wayne, thanks. i found the no-hub coupling that fits: fernco P3000-150. you are correct, it is ~1.9 for the outer diameter.

i will stick with what gagecalman posted above: pvc p-trap. 1.5".
horizontal pipe will be 1.5" solvent welded
vertical will have the 1.5" threaded adapter solvent welded accepting the vertical 1.5" tubular from the bathtub/shower

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
gagecalman posted two options for the p-trap: one where the two pieces thread together (and the inlet and outlet are solvent welded), and one where the two pieces solvent weld together. In conjunction with the trap adapter, the first option would let you remove the U-bend of the trap, while the second option would not.

I've never used tubular on a tub waste and overflow, so I have no opinion.

Cheers, Wayne

Reactions: Dan

Dan

Reaction score
gagecalman posted two options for the p-trap: one where the two pieces thread together (and the inlet and outlet are solvent welded), and one where the two pieces solvent weld together. In conjunction with the trap adapter, the first option would let you remove the U-bend of the trap, while the second option would not.

I've never used tubular on a tub waste and overflow, so I have no opinion.

Cheers, Wayne

thanks for clarifying and i should have been more clear in the post:

i will be going with the option that allows me to remove the 'u-bend': https://www.lowes.com/pd/Charlotte-...ia-PVC-Schedule-40-Hub-P-Trap-Fitting/3132661

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
That alone doesn't, but coupled with a trap adapter for the tubular drain from the tub, the u-bend can be removed. Or are you saying that on that style of two piece trap, the two pieces don't separate and are captive?

Cheers, Wayne

Dan

Reaction score
That alone doesn't, but coupled with a trap adapter for the tubular drain from the tub, the u-bend can be removed. Or are you saying that on that style of two piece trap, the two pieces don't separate and are captive?

Cheers, Wayne

yes youre right about the the u bend having two trap adapters

this is what i am doing, im assuming this works?

Attachments

• 15988131966799120151178805648503.jpg
    15988131966799120151178805648503.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 166

Dan

Reaction score

Cheers, Wayne

dry fit photo

15988133992345561117332305302545.jpg

Dan

Reaction score

Cheers, Wayne

heres the final job

IMG_20200830_143426.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
That alone doesn't, but coupled with a trap adapter for the tubular drain from the tub, the u-bend can be removed.
I see that now.

Still required precision. Good work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks