Radiant Heat PEX recomendations

Users who are viewing this thread

Dohc

Reaction score
We are installing 1/2 PEX for in floor radiant heat. Plans have been drawn up and install started. At which point it was discovered that NIBCO Oxygen Barrier PEX-C is not what everyone thought it was (see Class Action Settlement).

Anyway, we are now reviewing our options and looking for input on which Oxygen Barrier PEX to install.
  • PEX-A by
    • Uponor
    • Rehau
  • PEX-B by
    • Watts
    • Viega
    • Sioux Chief
It appears to me that PEX-A would be the better choice, a little more pliable while trying to install it in the floor joists.

BirchwoodBill

Reaction score
We are installing 1/2 PEX for in floor radiant heat. Plans have been drawn up and install started. At which point it was discovered that NIBCO Oxygen Barrier PEX-C is not what everyone thought it was (see Class Action Settlement).

Anyway, we are now reviewing our options and looking for input on which Oxygen Barrier PEX to install.
  • PEX-A by
    • Uponor
    • Rehau
  • PEX-B by
    • Watts
    • Viega
    • Sioux Chief
It appears to me that PEX-A would be the better choice, a little more pliable while trying to install it in the floor joists.
I recently installed warmboard through out the house during a remodel. Everything is Rehau, it works well. The floors are run between 85 to 105f on outdoor reset, using a taco XPB off the DHW tank. Very efficient.

Dohc

Reaction score
Birchwood Bill, thanks for the feedback.

I am leaning towards PEX-A, Uponor or Rehau. Uponor appears to have longevity in the industry. I contacted both Uponor and Rehau and will see which will respond first.

Dohc

Reaction score
From the PEX-A Oxygen Barrier providers I am looking at either Uponor or Sioux Chief. Both appear to be good products.

Sioux Chief has what appears a very quality PEX-A product.
Compatibility and Warranty

• PowerPEX® tube and fittings carry a 25 year warranty on material & workmanship.
  • PowerPEX® tube & fittings can be mixed with other manufacturers’ compatible tube & fittings systems.

I like that they say it has a 25 year warranty AND can be used with other manufactures compatible tube & fitting systems.

Any feedback on Sioux Chief PEX-A? Anyone use Sioux Chief Oxygen Barrier PEX-A for radiant heating?

Reach4

Reaction score
I like that they say it has a 25 year warranty AND can be used with other manufactures compatible tube & fitting systems.
Note that the document you linked to says
PowerPEX® Tube
  • PEX-B tubing
But they are saying you can use F1960 expansion fittings with their PEX B, but you cannot use a manual expansion tool, as I use.

Other things like https://www.siouxchief.com/docs/def...000b65710e679670f83106b288831ff0000b65710.pdf say PEX A.

For the PEX A, I can use my manual tool.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not sure if it matters, but Uphonor makes not only the tubing, but the raw materials used in it, so has full quality control of the entire process and, they've been making it longer than anyone else.

Using an expansion fitting on anything other than type-A pex is risky.

Dohc

Reaction score
Rach4 and Jim,

For the PEX-A, which I would like to install, I read the document that it lists both PEX-A and PEX-B, although I am maybe confused.

• PowerPEX® Fittings
    • CRIMP™ - F1807, F2159 - For use with PEX-B or PEX-A tube, crimp rings or V-Sleeves.
    • GRIP™ - F1960 - For use with PEX-B or PEX-A. F1960 connections to PEX-B tubing must be made with self-rotating, power expansion tool.
    • LOCK™ - F2080 - For use with PEX-B or PEX-A tube.
  • Warranty
    • PowerPEX® tube and fittings carry a 25 year warranty on material & workmanship. See www.siouxchief.com for warranty details.
    • PowerPEX® tube & fittings can be mixed with other manufacturers’ compatible tube & fittings systems.
  • Made In America
    • PowerPEX® is proudly made in America, using domestic materials.

As for the PEX-B and expansion not something I would want to try either. Sioux Chief has a paper on doing PEX-B expansion, but again something I would NOT want to try.

Thanks for the feedback.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The three versions of PEX vary by their flexibility and memory with -A being the most flexible, and having the best memory function. It's a function of how complete the interlocking and length of the polymer chains. PEX-A has the most, which allows it to bend and stretch while returning to 'normal' than the others which may not without damage. PEX-A can be used with crimp connections, but you'll lose the larger ID capacity. I wasn't aware that some pex-B could be used with expansion fittings. Those might not be interchangeable with those designed for -A (i.e., they may not require the tubing to be stretched as much)...don't know.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks