Price Pfister Flow-Matic, Help identifying older shower ball valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Glenn Pohly

Reaction score
I am remodeling a 50-year old house in Southern California. One bathroom has an older ball valve I cannot identify. The valve does not leak so I suspect was rebuilt or even replaced one or more times over its life. The faceplate and ball were inadvertently thrown away with other demolition debris, and I need to replace them, but cannot identify the valve to look for replacement parts.

Any help is appreciated.

pp_flowmatic_1.jpg

Attachments

• Valve straight-on.jpg
    Valve straight-on.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 250
  • valve from above.jpg
    valve from above.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 260
  • valve from below.jpg
    valve from below.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 271

Curly

Reaction score
I am remodeling a 50-year old house in Southern California. One bathroom has an older ball valve I cannot identify. The valve does not leak so I suspect was rebuilt or even replaced one or more times over its life. The faceplate and ball were inadvertently thrown away with other demolition debris, and I need to replace them, but cannot identify the valve to look for replacement parts.

Any help is appreciated.

It is a Price Pfister brand (now just called Pfister).

You should be able to still get after market trim and cartridges for it, but why would want to for a valve that is 50 years old and has not been made for at least 25 years.

You should really replace the entire valve body in the wall with a new anti-scald shower valve - required by code. Old valve is not anti-scald.

Most major manufactures will give new valve a lifetime warranty.

Lot easier to do it now while you are remodeling.

Glenn Pohly

Reaction score
It is a Price Pfister brand (now just called Pfister).

You should be able to still get after market trim and cartridges for it, but why would want to for a valve that is 50 years old and has not been made for at least 25 years.

You should really replace the entire valve body in the wall with a new anti-scald shower valve - required by code. Old valve is not anti-scald.

Most major manufactures will give new valve a lifetime warranty.

Lot easier to do it now while you are remodeling.

Hi Curly,
I greatly appreciate the information and advice, thank you!

I am not against replacing the valve, but replacing the entire existing one-piece tub/shower enclosure is not in the current plans. Can a new balancing valve be installed through the existing cut-out? I can handle electrical, carpentry, drywall, and most other repair jobs including sweat fittings where they are in the open (e.g. water heater safety valve) but that valve in place inside a fiberglass shower enclosure is definitely more than I would tackle. A pro can install a new valve through the existing hole?

Thanks again.

Curly

Reaction score
Hi Curly,
I greatly appreciate the information and advice, thank you!

I am not against replacing the valve, but replacing the entire existing one-piece tub/shower enclosure is not in the current plans. Can a new balancing valve be installed through the existing cut-out? I can handle electrical, carpentry, drywall, and most other repair jobs including sweat fittings where they are in the open (e.g. water heater safety valve) but that valve in place inside a fiberglass shower enclosure is definitely more than I would tackle. A pro can install a new valve through the existing hole?

Thanks again.

It looks like your valve has soldered copper piping connections. If that is the case it can replaced through the existing hole (or if possible cut a hole in the wall behind it ?), it takes some skill and time but it can be down.

If the valve is working OK you can leave it alone and just replace the trim. It has been a while but my guess is that their will not be a large selection of trim to choose from.

Glenn Pohly

Reaction score
It looks like your valve has soldered copper piping connections. If that is the case it can replaced through the existing hole (or if possible cut a hole in the wall behind it ?), it takes some skill and time but it can be down.

If the valve is working OK you can leave it alone and just replace the trim. It has been a while but my guess is that their will not be a large selection of trim to choose from.

What’s behind that shower wall is a completely open wall in the master bedroom closet. And since the house is currently empty during renovation, there is nothing in the closet to move out of the way. Great idea, thanks. I am very comfortable with opening the wall, closings it back up, and matching the texture. I actually have a new Moen balancing valve and trim, I bought an entire tub shower kit, so that is the way to go. Thanks again!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks