Kitchen sink P trap leaks

Users who are viewing this thread

Tlhfirelion

Reaction score
Hello. New kitchen sink install. I used an older P trap I had laying around and it leaked at the same spot. I figured it was just old so I bought a new one. It’s leaking at the same spot.
(See pic where the level is pointing too)

I figured it was loose so I hand tightened it as hard as I could. That helped. Well, came back to check it 10 minutes later and the floor is wet again. So, like any good DIY’er, I grabbed my trusty old pliers and put the gear of God Into it. That helped more. Come back 10 minutes later and it’s still leaking. If I crank on it anymore I’m sure it’ll break and I knew before hand that wasn’t the answer.

I am gonna assume that the issue is not the 2 P trap’s but something I am doing incorrectly that is causing this issue. Any direction or advice?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Attachments

• 88CBCA8D-5F4E-4F3B-832C-6297D4F18B43.jpeg
    88CBCA8D-5F4E-4F3B-832C-6297D4F18B43.jpeg
    96.1 KB · Views: 200

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Looks like an S trap there. Normally I would expect to see an AAV for venting there.
No hose clamp on the dishwasher hose. Surprised that isn't leaking.

Tlhfirelion

Reaction score
Looks like an S trap there. Normally I would expect to see an AAV for venting there.
No hose clamp on the dishwasher hose. Surprised that isn't leaking.

I’ve not put the hose clamp on yet, still trying to get this leak fixed but that will be done.
What do you mean AAV?
Thank you for the reply.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
An Auto Air Vent breaks the siphon so that the p-trap doesn't siphon itself empty and lose the water seal that prevents sewer gas into the home.

Here is one below for a bathroom sink.

aav-lav.jpg

Normally the drain for the kitchen sink would be coming from the wall with the venting going through the roof.

sink_dw.jpg

Here is a kitchen sink using an AAV on the drain from the wall, used if they didn't have the vent in the wall going up. Normally I see this on an Island where you don't have a wall to go up in.

disposer-piping-3.jpg

Tlhfirelion

Reaction score
An Auto Air Vent breaks the siphon so that the p-trap doesn't siphon itself empty and lose the water seal that prevents sewer gas into the home.

Here is one below for a bathroom sink.

aav-lav.jpg

Normally the drain for the kitchen sink would be coming from the wall with the venting going through the roof.

sink_dw.jpg

Here is a kitchen sink using an AAV on the drain from the wall, used if they didn't have the vent in the wall going up. Normally I see this on an Island where you don't have a wall to go up in.

disposer-piping-3.jpg

Thanks for the detailed reply. My kitchen sink does have a vent thru the roof, it’s tied into the laundry room vent which you can’t obviously see in my pic. Do I still need the air vent under the sink as well? How can I best address the leaking issue I am having? Thank you.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
There's a chance you misthreaded the nut in your circle. It's easy to do when you are working up from down under...
Take the nut off, check the thread on the elbow. Wrap some white tape on the thread - it something that doesn't have to be done normally - and see if it helps.
Are you right handed? If yes, do it with your right hand. Then tighten with a plumbers or adjustable wrench (not your pliers) while holding the elbow with your other hand firmly.

Tlhfirelion

Reaction score
There's a chance you misthreaded the nut in your circle. It's easy to do when you are working up from down under...
Take the nut off, check the thread on the elbow. Wrap some white tape on the thread - it something that doesn't have to be done normally - and see if it helps.
Are you right handed? If yes, do it with your right hand. Then tighten with a plumbers or adjustable wrench (not your pliers) while holding the elbow with your other hand firmly.

I started over and followed your directions exactly and it appears to have fixed the leak. I ran water for 10 Minutes and saw no more leaks.

thank you, sir, for your help and solution!

Tlhfirelion

Reaction score
You definitely have a S-trap and it should be addressed. Take a look at post #4.

I am a bit confused over something. What is the drawback to an S trap vs P? I may have misunderstood but I read that if I am vented thru the roof, I don’t need to add the AVV or change my set up. Thank you for your assistance.

Gagecalman

Reaction score
S-traps can suck the water out of the trap as the water flows down the drain.
The trap arm should not go down until it is vented.
If there is a roof vent it does nothing for the kitchen drain.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am a bit confused over something. What is the drawback to an S trap vs P? I may have misunderstood but I read that if I am vented thru the roof, I don’t need to add the AVV or change my set up. Thank you for your assistance.

The issue is that the vent thru roof dosent accomplish its purpose in an s trap situation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks